Another redhead genesis restoration!

Colby R

TVWBB Super Fan
So for past month or two I've been trying to decide which grill to buy many of you probably saw that thread after being intrigued by all the genesis restore threads I had to check craigslist and I ended up buying a redhead genesis from another die hard bbq person who grills year round as we'll it became evident quickly after speaking to his wife he was also a tvwbb member and took care of it since he bought it knew he had replaced all the wood and flavorizer bars is all that I was told tonight I disassembled it which takes all of about 10 or 15 minutes if you take your time.. To my amazement everything was in amazing shape just evident that it had been cooked on a lot but I'm pretty sure everything's been replaced at one time or it was taken very good care of I took the entire batch of parts to car wash around 1030 tonight I'm sure I looked like a tweaker but I got the urge to work on it and wasn't going to stop any how the pressure washer didn't take near as much off as I planned tomorrow I'm going to scrub and scrape all the parts clean and paint what needs to be painted and reassemble it unless that takes longer than expected ! I am Curious how I figure out what year it is model number is 210000 serial is 392623 most importantly what's the best cleaner to use?!

On a Genesis it really isn't important to know the year. More important to know which "generation" it came from.

I have a Genesis Silver I got for free in really bad shape (it was free after all) and I power washed the cook box when I went back the next weekend I noticed ash like corrosion. Now I have no idea what was done before to this cook box and at some point someone could have introduced oven cooker or someone else. I contacted weber CS about it and they suggested only to scrub cook box with brush and not to use water. I don't know how it could hurt, I just reporting back what they said. Good Luck on the re-build and thanks for sharing any pics?

After washing grates there is a bit of surface rust on grates just clean it off wouldn't you say?

I'm thinking they might be Cast Iron grates, I keep mine seasoned with Crisco just like I do with cast iron skillets. So lightly brush off rust and wipe down with Crisco, then heat them up. Just my 2 cents.

Colby, recently saw your post on the woodwork on my redhead refurb. If your inquiry is serious, send me a private msg, and we can discuss. I would love to see pics of your new baby!

Oren

If you want really good heavy SS grates look up RCplanebuyer on Ebay. He makes some really nice stuff

! I am Curious how I figure out what year it is model number is 210000 serial is 392623
You need the 2 letter code in front of the serial number, then go here - http://help.weber.com/schematics/#serial-number

After washing grates there is a bit of surface rust on grates just clean it off wouldn't you say?

What are your grates? Heavy like porcelain cast iron? Thin stamped SS or porcelain coated steel?
If they're porcelain stamped steel, I say chuck em' and get something better. Personally, I prefer the CI but they can and do 1) wear out 2) rust
If your grates are CI and you now have surface rust after cooking, just wipe it down with oil and cook up some burgers.

They're very heavy and I think they're porcelain coated steal and I didn't see the Ss grates on rcplanebuyers ebay page

You need to contact him and tell him what you need. He custom makes them but I can tell you they're about half the cost of Weber's own (about $130 for the set IIRC).

Actually if you think about it it's not. His grates will last a lifetime and never show wear or corrosion. So compare to the cast iron ones you might get 3 or 4 years from before they rust at close to $75 and it does not seem insane to me

I've had his SS flavorizer bars in my Genesis 1000 for over 4 years and they still are like new and I use that grill a lot. He makes an excellent product!

Back