Smoke Day - Wings 2 ways

Barry McCorkle

TVWBB Super Fan
Started off Smoke Day 2014 with smoked wings. My aim for today was to make 2 versions - a smoked hot wing and a knockoff of the Mardi Gras wings from Publix grocery stores.

The smoked hot wing is a simple recipe of salt and pepper with Franks Wing Sauce applied at the end of the cook. I usually like to smoke an additional 20 minutes to set the sauce.

For the Mardi Gras wing recipe I got this recipe from the web. These are a dry wing with no sauce.
http://www.lemonythyme.com/mardi-gras-wings-seasoning/.

Smoker temp was maintained at 275 - 300 degrees. Foiled water pan, no water.

I will have to say that both of these wings were outstanding. The smoked hot wings really let the apple wood smoke flavor come through with a touch of heat. In fact, I may need to add some heat on the next try. The Mardi Gras wing knockoff is just like buying them from Publix. It's a different taste from your typical hot wing, but very, very good. As shown in the linked recipe, I mixed some canola oil which gave the skin some extra crispiness in spots.

Now for the pics. Apologies for the poor picture quality.

A local grocer with a very good selection of fresh chicken at low prices has eliminated most of the prep work by offering fresh cut wings sections sans the tips for $1.99/lb, which is incredible. I only use 2 packs (4 lbs) today.
photo2.jpg

Starting the WSM with a chimney of lit Kingsford, several pieces of unlit Kingsford and 2 large chunks of apple wood.

photo1.jpg

No action shots of seasoning the wings, but here they are just after putting them on the grill. At the top of the photo are the wings with just salt and pepper. The bottom wings are the Mardi Gras knockoffs

photo1-1.jpg

Wings near the end of the cook
photo2-1.jpg

Plated smoked hot wings
IMG_2985.jpg

Plated Mardi Gras wings. Note the rosemary that is prominent in this recipe.
IMG_2984.jpg

And by the way, the weather is great in S.C. for Smoke Day 2014. Hope all have a great day!

Last edited:

Back