Side Table Replacement Options???

G Savrnoch

TVWBB Super Fan
So I've picked up a used 1200 (free) from a local classified. The side tables and bottom shelf are all made from that Weber grey wood-type stuff. Some were missing, some are in rough shape. If I consider replacing all the sides/flips ups/bottom shelves........what materials have others used in their restores? Particularly if you used wood, what species and was it a good choice?

From my reading online it seems some names that keep coming up are red cedar, white oak, teak and many more. We have a local "exotic" wood shop where I could likely get lots more from other corners of the world. I'm thinking of cutting them to exact size as the Weber pieces and then sealing or staining and varnishing them for water and UV durability. For the most part I plan to cover the grill.......but it still will see some exposure to sun, water and the odd spill/drip from something greasy.

Any thoughts, experience would be appreciated.

I used smooth cedar for this. 3 coats of polyurethane.

037.jpg

Western red cedar is the way to go for the combination of durability & cost. I also agree with keeping poly on it; very appealing.

Back