Smokin' in Steele

Shawn Gardner

TVWBB Fan
Will anyone else be at Smokin' in Steele? I am going to be in the backyard competition myself. Anyone in that one or the full blown KCBS one? It is coming up quickly and with our wet late spring I have not gotten to practice nearly as much as I would have liked.

I had wanted to, but don't feel I have the capacity to cook the amount of meat they give you and my new smoker won't arrive in time I don't think. What is your team name if I do make it down there?

I go by G's Q. I think I will have my UDS and 18" WSM to cook on. That should be enough for the chicken, ribs and pork loin. Right now they said they have 10 teams for the backyard and 52 for the KCBS.

Don't plan on making it down there either. Competed, along with Jeff, last weekend at MN in May.

Memorial weekend is tough as I will usually have a "wing-fest" at our house each year either on Sunday or Monday.

Sorry Shawn, we are doing the KCBS comp not backyard. We will be located next to the stadium bleachers on the side farthest away from all the venders. This is our second year.

That's great Mark. I will try to swing by if I get any down time to say hi. If not I will look for you at the awards ceremony. I will be competing under G's Q. I would love to do the full blown KCBS but it is just me and my brother and with no camper/tent to stay in over night I would think it would be a long night of sitting in my truck.

Congrats to my teammate Aaron/Lucky 19 BBQ for taking Grand Champion of the amateur comp today. He decided last minute to do this comp and he did it with his fiancé and her kids since I couldn't make it today.

Hey, I was right next to Aaron. He is a great guy! His food was very good. I was lucky enough to get first in ribs today and be the reserved champion. I am really hoping to compete with you guys again sometime!

Unfortunately I have no pictures of the food from that day. Keeping up on handing out samples for the people's choice along with boxing up made it tough to keep timings going for just my second competition. I will be better next time and remember to take pictures of each box before turning it in. And thanks for the congrats everyone.

Back