Which bbq grill ?

Colby R

TVWBB Super Fan
Considering switching back to propane charcoal is really adding up which grill would you buy right now ? I normally cook for two sometimes up to half a dozen people come over ... Not sure what to do!?

What would *I* do? Pick up an older Genesis from CL, rehab it, and grill on like there's no tomorrow. :)

Colby, there's no denying that food just seems a little better cooked over charcoal. But if it's not for you, then it's not for you. Like chad suggested, look on CL for a deal be it an older genesis or maybe even a good deal on a Q. I probably grill 90 percent of the time on either my genesis or my Q-200 just because it is less time consuming and that fits our schedule better. Another suggestion would be to buy charcoal in bulk. ( if you have a place to store it.) it's a big hit initially, but that way you won't be affected by rising costs until you run out of your stash. Find which works for you, and enjoy, cause in the end, if you're not enjoying what you're doing, you won't be doing it very often..
Good luck,
Tim

I have a decent gas grill that almost never gets used.

I buy my charcoal in large lots when on sale. I use Kingsford Original. Memorial Day sales will allow you to stock up. The last batch I bought cost me under $.25 cents a pound (bought the twin twenty pound bags - several hundred pounds of them). Cost of charcoal no longer enters into my calculations...

Keep in mind that they are not giving propane away, either.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Colby, Where I live is tinder dry and windy. With that said I love my charcoal performer, but due to the winds and high fire risk I don't get to use it very often.
I have an 1997 silver B and a just purchased off CL a 2009 NG Genesis E320, both of which work great. I also have refurb/restored 5 silver Bs off of CL and the parts are easy to find and the grills depending on condition run from free to $50-75 add another $100 -150 for new parts and you will have a well built grill that will out last you and work really well.
Take a look under the Weber Gas Grill thread there is a few posts on folks that have refurb or restored some of the older silver Bs.

Last edited:
I was more curious about the new models but a used genesis would be cool. I grill almost daily year round whether it's raining or snowing or 1 degree outside I grill, charcoal is much more time consuming and I've never believed it taste much different. Personally a 20 dollar bottle of propane last longer from my experience than several times that amount In charcoal

My nephew has a Spirit that is outstanding. I've seen great things come off that grill, and have been hinting about Fathers day for a while now. Don't think it's going to happen, but it's nice to dream. My Char Griller is over 14 years old now and yes it still makes a mean burger, it's just warped and the grates have a tendency to fall in.

What I would do is buy a Genesis S-330. What you would do may be completely different. I have a Genesis S-320. I love the stainless steel grates and I love the side burner. Mine is an older unit with the burners running east and west. I like the new ones where the burners run north and south - so much so that I might trade my current model out for a new one. The other thing I might consider is getting a gas unit so I don't have to haul propane any longer. It's not that hard, but one less job is one less job.

On the lower end of the spectrum (cost wise), I refurbished a Weber propane grill for each of my son-in-laws, and I was very proud to give them those units. Both were done for around $200. I did not have to replace burners but I did clean them up and bought new stainless steel flavorizor bars and stainless steel grates. For the money, I think they were great deals and I'm sure they will last a good long time. Both son-in-laws have said they are very happy with the units. It's a really good way to go if cost is an issue and you're a little handy.

I used a display model char broil propane grill and many other cheap wal mart grills at my dad's til I bought my own place then I bought a kettle off a guy on here and have probably cooked on it 50 times since then but doing things right and waiting on the charcoal to be ready to throw on and letting grill get to temp adds 20 minutes to anything I do plus tossing the old charcoal has became a problem. The new genesis models are very expensive I have considered the spirit at 399 but after looking a used genesis would be perfect but most I've seen are natural gas and I don't know how I would run a line at my house

I don't know how I would run a line at my house

Since running gas is best left to professionals, the professional you need is a plumber. They do that type of work. Give one a call and get a quote. That way you'll know what you're dealing with or rule it out entirely.

Also, while it may be true that a propane Genesis doesn't come up too often, keep an eye out and be ready to jump once you know that's the route you want to go. Like most things that are worth having, there is a market for them and they go fast. I think there are apps that can search Craigslist and I think some even send you an alert when something new comes along. There is also the friend/relative route. I'm sure if I get rid of my Genesis, it will go to someone I know. Get the word out.

I know this is a weber site, and I love them (just ordered a 26.75 OTG from amazon today to add to the herd). If you are looking to save on charcoal, and have the convenience of pushing a button, I would suggest a kamado of some kind combined with a weed burner to get it going . I have a few big green eggs (embarrassed to say how many), and a bubba keg. The bubba keg (now called broil king keg) is the most efficient charcoal grill I have ever used. I use a weed burner to light it, and its good to go in just a few minutes. And I swear I put charcoal in once, and it just keeps making more on its own because it is so efficient. It wont be cheaper than propane, but the costs will be so low that you wont notice.

Originally Posted by Colby R
I don't know how I would run a line at my house

Since running gas is best left to professionals, the professional you need is a plumber. They do that type of work. Give one a call and get a quote. That way you'll know what you're dealing with or rule it out entirely.
This ^^^
And follow local codes/requirements or your home owner's ins. policy could be voided in the event of mishap.

Personally, *I* would pass on that unit. The newer model Spirit is their economy line and they didn't build it that way be using all the same Genesis materials. For my $.02, you will be happier with a 3 burner set-up over the 2 burner like this one. I am fortunate to live in an area where there is a lot of (people) turnover. Great deals happen often so what *I* think is a fair/poor deal might be all that's available in your area. Another place I find to be a good place to score grills/smokers is EstateSales.net as people don't want to pay to move a large item like a grill. It's not as obvious like Craigslist, but a little additional work on your end can really pay off.

I'll leave the charcoal to my smoker I am dead set on propane for a grill

I can totally see your point and it's not one I would try to talk you out of. I have way too many grills as it is, but I love, and use, my gasser on a regular basis.

I am with Chad I would look and wait for a CL Geneis newer or older they both work well as far as fuel I will be looking out for a ng for my next grill.although my tanks last a long time and hmy last refills were only 10.00 bucks each.

I also agree with Chad, like I said earlier I have a E320 NG and it's great. Go for the Genesis line you won't regret it.

Back