Chunk Charcoal sale at Lowe's

023857810240lg.jpg

It's Frontier lump. I haven't tried it (I have a bag I bought at Sam's Club for $9.98 but haven't used it yet) but it has several good reviews.

Just ordered some online, with free shipping to my house (not store pickup). Magic number there is 7 bags, use the $10 promo coupon, that keeps your total over $50 for free shipping, delivered to my door with KS sales tax $56.98... For 140 pounds... Or roughly 41 cents/pound.

If you want it shipped, either order 6 bags and skip the $10 coupon, or order 7 and use the coupon... Otherwise shipping charges are about $50 more.

BIG THANKS to everyone for this deal. I loves me some free shipping. I realize I risk the bags getting banged around and the chunks getting broken up, but worth it for convenience, since I'm pretty busy and super lazy.

Last edited:
Picked up 10 bags yesterday. Total cost worked out to about $0.38 per pound. Gave it a try last night on some of Keri's mustard grilled chicken, and was extremely happy with it. It burns much hotter then briquettes, and much longer with a whole lot less ash.

I will still use KB in my WSM, but will now use lump for the kettle cooks. Thanks for the heads up.........opened my eyes.

At first, I didn't get it because it is made in Mexico. Then Academy Sports put another brand of lump on sale, but it is also made in Mexico.
I got some of this Frontier from Lowes to try lump charcoal.
Wow, what a difference, there are large branches in the bag, along with small and medium sized pieces too.
It burns so CLEAN! None of that acrid smoke when lighting like I get from Kingsford blue. Almost no smoke at all.
I like lump, I plan to use it for most cooks except the size is too inconsistent to use the snake method for low and slow.

Thanks for posting Bill.

Found on another forum site

frontier lump 20lb bag is on sale for 8.99 (normally 13.99)
http://www.lowes.com/pd_361265-34228-FT.LCIM20S.U.20_0__?productId=3604156

Add 6 to cart to get total over $50 ($54)
use online coupon code 47000RRRRR0661R ($10 off minimum $50)

ship to store is free

I got 6 bags for $46.58

I don't need charcoal but if I am going to use it why not get it cheap.

credit goes to user LightningBoldtz

J Weiland, you must have gotten that from the KamadoGuru forum. I go bt J Boldt here, and I have to pass the real credit to Troy from weberkettleclub forum.

Wow, what a difference, there are large branches in the bag, along with small and medium sized pieces too.

You must have been lucky with the bag you got. I'm trying to use up the rest of my bulk purchases from this past year, and the Frontier lump charcoal hasn't served me well. Too many fine pieces. My last bag was mostly dust; no large branches in there.

I'm personally not fond of Mexican, Central or South American lump. It is made from mesquite and other dense, oily woods. Unlike Greg's experience, I got some nasty smells from it. It does burn hot, and there's little ash, but it is sparky and can be smelly. I'm lucky, though. I'm about 60 miles from the Ozark Oak plant, and the stores around here have it year round.

Back