Pork Butt - seriouseats.com

Steve Cutchen

TVWBB Super Fan
An interesting Pork Butt Q post in seriouseats.com, which is not normally a home of smoked meat recipes.

He uses a brine with molasses, based on an Alton Brown recipe.

He uses a WSM as his smoker.

Barbecue: Pulled Pork

Also, a matching BBQ sauce recipe here.

The problem with posting links to recipes is that links break over time.

Here's the recipe in question.

Regards,
Chris

---

Pulled Pork
Brine recipe adapted from Alton Brown.

Ingredients
For the brine:
3/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup kosher salt
2 quarts cold water

About 1 cup of your favorite dry rub

1 pork butt

Hickory and apple wood chunks, or other smoking woods of your choice

Procedure
1. Trim the fat cap to 1/4 inch thick and cut off any hard pieces of fat from the pork butt.

2. In a saucepan, add the molasses, salt, and 1/2 quart of water. Stir over medium meat just until all the salt is dissolved. Pour mixture into your brining vessel, add the rest of the water, and stir to combine. Completely submerge the pork butt in the brine and then place in the refrigerator and allow to brine for 12 hours.

3. Remove the pork butt from the brine and pat dry with paper towels. Rub entire pork butt liberally with the dry rub. Wrap the rubbed pork butt in aluminum foil and place back in the refrigerator for another 12 hours.

4. Remove the pork from the fridge while you start the smoker. Fire up your smoker to 225°F. When at temperature, add wood chunks and the pork butt. Smoke until an instant read thermometer reads 190°F when inserted into the pork, about 14 to 16 hours.

5. Remove the pork and allow it to rest for at least an hour to cool down. Pull the pork using your hands or two forks and serve.

---

Basic Barbecue Sauce
Adapted from How to Grill by Steven Raichlen.

Ingredients
2 cups ketchup
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons molasses
2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon of your favorite barbecue rub
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Procedure
Combine all of the ingredients in a nonreactive saucepan and slowly bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low and gently simmer until dark, thick, and richly flavored, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer the sauce to a clean jar and store in the refrigerator. It will keep for several months.

I'm following this recipe over the next couple days. Already got the butt in the brine and will remove it tomorrow a.m.

Hope it turns out as good as it sounds.

It came out perfect. I mean 'slap yo momma' good.

pulledpork.jpg

I used 3 chunks of apple and 3 chunks of hickory for smoke wood. Folks at work absolutely loved it.

Following this recipe again tonight. I have 2 four Lb butts sitting in a brine since 7am.

I changed it up a little, though. 1/2 c molasses, 1/3 c brown sugar, 2/3 c kosher salt and 2 qts water.

Also got a nice cayenne pepper rub to use. It's going on tonight around 10-11pm.

I just wanted to add to this post if anyone is looking. I didn't have molasses so I substituted cane syrup. I brined a picnic shoulder for about 24 hours. It turned out amazing...possibly the best pork shoulder cook to date. I'm doing this again soon and will post pics.

3/4 cup cane syrup
1/2 cup kosher salt
2 quarts of cold water

Back