Quick and easy Black Beans

Jose Suro

TVWBB All-Star
Hi All,

I have been cooking all kinds of beans for over 30 years, from scratch and otherwise. This black bean recipe is quick, easy and delicious. No need to go with the overnight soaking of beans route or anything major. So, we are talking about canned beans here. If you look at all the canned beans at the store, they all have the same ingredients so it makes no difference which ones you buy, except for the can size. Bush Beans has the biggest can size so that is what I use.

The key to black beans is a syrupy consistency, pork fat, smoke, garlic, onions and cumin. Cumin is the key to the authentic taste of Black Beans.

So here it is, canned beans that rival any restaurant:

- One large can of Bush Black Beans
- 4 slices of smoked bacon chopped to 1/4 inch bits - smoked is the critical word.
- 1/4 finely chopped normal size onion - you can do this by eye - I prefer Vidalia.
- Dusting of garlic powder
- Dusting of Cumin - like three shakes from the spice container. Enough to lightly dust about 1/2 of the contents of the pot. Don't go overboard.
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Pinch of Dry thyme
- A thin squeeze of olive oil

That's it. Couldn't be simpler.

Start a pot on the stove at medium high heat with very little olive oil and the bacon. As soon as the bottom of the pot starts to brown from the sugars in the bacon throw in the onion, followed by the thyme, pepper flakes and cumin powder. Stir for a minute or less and add the garlic powder. No need to add salt, the beans are already salted - read the label.

Lower the heat to medium and add the can of beans. Once it's boiling cover and go to low heat for 5-minutes. Then turn the stove off.

Re-heat covered on medium low heat when ready to serve. Add a bit of fresh olive oil before serving.

Last edited:
Thanks Don't have one at hand right now but it's the same size as the large can of Bush baked beans.

Back