1st ever competition - and DrBBQ is judging!

Chris Arnold

TVWBB Super Fan
Wow...have just heard from Weber UK that I've been selected to be part of a four man team to cook at the Grillstock festival in Bristol (UK) in June.
Absolutely thrilled - and now really nervous...

Never competed before - it's all been about backyard grilling and smoking with family & friends

Now up against 23 other teams - vast majority of whom have competed many times before

And we're four people who have never met before - let alone cooked together! However we are all BBQ fiends.

I've looked at lots of the comp ideas on here - check lists and timing seem to be key - so thanks everyone for that. And i think we're all in it 'for kicks' and to have some fun. but it sure would be great NOT to come last in every category!

More info here for those of you interested ( http://grillstock.co.uk/bristol-festival )

Wish me luck
Chris

ps...back in June with photos and feedback...

Congrats. I did my first comp this weekend. 63 teams 9 of them were grand national champions. 3 of them have won the Jack D.invitational. One of those winners was kind enough to give me some good advice. Even thou we had issues with our cooker(our fault not the cooker) his advice helped us get a few extra points. He told me to remember that you are not cooking for you and your buddy's. You are cooking to meet a check list. Don't be afraid to give the judges what they want to see and taste.When you think you have enough Glaze or Sauce, hit it again. Also, most judges are from the area. Try to see what herbs and BBQ sauce is readily available in the area and base your sauces/injections off of that. I think your biggest hurdle is going to be cooking with three different dudes. Try to setup a full blown run through. That will be huge! Oh yeah,Time management and sleep. That's the part that gets ya if it's a two day event. Good luck and keep us posted

thanks Todd...we're getting together for a day on Monday - try to talk thru what we're going to do and test a few options

I've done a couple of chili competitions and I've done okay against the pros. One tip I was given by one of the top chili cooks was keep smiling makes your competitors think you’re on to something. Good luck and most of all have fun!

Chris,

Looking forward to seeing a smile on your face after a job well done. Todd is very correct... cook for the judges, not what you might personally like. Also, don't make any changes during the comp. Stay with your plan. And, most importantly... Enjoy !
Although we are not allowed to show any emotion during judging, often you will find us with smiles (when we're allowed to) following an excellent session.

Wishing you and your team BBQ Excellence !

Be sure to have fun! That's most important.

Also, try to find time either before or after and go meet Ray (DrBBQ). He is the nicest guy you'll likely ever meet and he LOVES to talk about BBQ.

Russ

Also, try to find time either before or after and go meet Ray (DrBBQ). He is the nicest guy you'll likely ever meet and he LOVES to talk about BBQ.

I'm certainly going to try - and I hope that being in the competition 'compound' gives me a better chance of meeting him than the 17,000 'customers' expected at the festival!!!

Todd is very correct... cook for the judges, not what you might personally like. !

this is a difficult one as most of the judges will be KCBS accredited from the UK - i think DrBBQ may be the only US judge

so do we stick to what KCBS would expect - or do we provide a UK twist???

While the KCBS rules still apply no matter where the contest is held, regional taste profiles sometimes come into effect. From what I've gather from those who have cooked across various regions here in the US, if one stays with something that is middle of the road for your area, you should do well. If you add a 'UK twist', will that be outside what is normally expected of BBQ in your area? Heading off into a corner of the flavor profile 'box' might not return the results you wished for.

A little thought... KCBS does not determine what the pitmaster delivers, other than for legality. The route the pitmaster travels is entirely the pitmaster's choice, provided it is legal in the KCBS rules. How well the pitmaster accomplishes what they set out to do is what is judged.

Last edited:
While the KCBS rules still apply no matter where the contest is held, regional taste profiles sometimes come into effect. From what I've gather from those who have cooked across various regions here in the US, if one stays with something that is middle of the road for your area, you should do well. If you add a 'UK twist', will that be outside what is normally expected of BBQ in your area? Heading off into a corner of the flavor profile 'box' might not return the results you wished for.

A little thought... KCBS does not determine what the pitmaster delivers, other than for legality. The route the pitmaster travels is entirely the pitmaster's choice, provided it is legal in the KCBS rules. How well the pitmaster accomplishes what they set out to do is what is judged.

thanks Bob - appreciate the feedback

Chris...

Wishing You and Your Team, the Bullet Brothers BBQ, BBQ Excellence next weekend at Bristol !!!
Good looking logo.

Only other thing I would add is pick each guy to be in charge of a meat. This can avoid conflicted opinions getting in the way of the fun. Hopefully you have 4 categories.

Back