Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weber Style 6434 Stainless Steel Vegetable Basket

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckO View Post
    What Matt said!
    Agreed, the oven cleaner did not work either. It's strange because I have stainless steel skillets that I can clean to new. Last try will be with the green Scothbrite whenever I get a pack.
    2014 Performer Platinum - Smokey Joe Silver - 22.5 WSM
    "If it walks, swims or flies I can grill it"

Found the Solution - "Literally"

I wasn't about to give up on this that easily . I read a lot on the internet today while watching NASCAR qualifying and I found the solution. Now, there are two types of deposits on the pan. One is the dark black fat deposits. Those are the smaller black spots where fat has baked on. The second is a brown varnish like smoke deposit. Those were the biggest areas on the pictures I posted above,

Well, the brown varnish was gone almost instantly. I'm giving the baked on grease spots an hour and see how they do.

Here's the method.

Get a big plastic pan where you can submerge the whole stainless pan. I happened to have one. It's a kitty litter pan that I use to carry two-2.5 gallon chlorine jugs to the house from the pool supply store so that any spills don't ruin the car. Paid three dollars for it a long time ago. I then got water out of the tap as hot as I could get it - 160 degrees is my number there abouts. I added enough water to almost cover the Weber pan and then added about a quarter gallon of white vinegar. We keep gallon jugs of white vinegar around because my wife uses it on our tile floors (now I know why ). Next time I'll just do it in the kitchen sink.

The varnish disappeared in less than 3-minutes - zero scrubbing! I'm letting it sit to see if it will remove the burnt on grease. I will post the after pics tonight.

Best,

Jose
    Last edited by Jose Suro; 05-30-2014 at 05:25 PM.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    To me that seems like a lot of work, just to get stained all over again next time.
    but I'm lazy.......

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Correll View Post
    To me that seems like a lot of work, just to get stained all over again next time.
    but I'm lazy.......
    I am too! That's why I'm looking for a no scrub method .

The results are in...

OK, an hour passed and I still had some black burned fat deposits. But, a very light, less than 30-second scrubbing with a yellow scrub pad took care of those instantly. I'm thinking that an hour wait might not be necessary. I just wanted to see if the burnt spots would go away on their own.

In all honestly, I did have some chemical stains from previous attempts at cleaning this thing (very dark big gray stains - those were unrelated to the cooking process and not present in the original pics) which I became aware of when all the other stuff magically disappeared, and those were removed while in the vinegar bath with 600 grit wet and dry in about a minute. DO NOT USE OVEN CLEANERS - they stain and darken the stainless. If you just wash the thing normally and then set it in the vinegar bath you'll be done before the rest of ther dishes go in the dishwasher!

So here are the after picks. If I had not used all the heavy chemicals first this whole thing would have taken less than 5-minutes of my time (not taking soak time into account, just prep). I'll take this small amount of work every day of the week ! Please refer to the before pictures in my post above to see the difference.

Best,

Jose
    Last edited by Jose Suro; 05-30-2014 at 04:56 PM.

Wow, that's an amazing result. Good for those of us who like bright, shiny objects.

TVWBB Pro
    I'm going to let mine age naturally. I have purchased many tools at the pawn shop and they usually have some wear showing which makes me look like I know what I am doing with the tools...
    tom bauer
    WSM 14.5,18.5, CB22.5, SJSilver, Q220, Q300, Q320, 18.5, 22.5, Kettle

TVWBB Fan
    we have 3 or 4 sizes of these weber slotted pans, and they are a huge improvement over other pans which typically have holes (which allow green beans and smaller pieces of onion, etc. slip through).

agree, Chris, the bottoms are a bit strange feeling to your bare fingers. But these pans seem worth it, so far.....grin.
    two 22.5 OTGs, a 26.75 flattop, smokey joe, two Meco grills, 22.5 WSM, kettle rotisserie, kettlepizza, weenie wheel, and 1 wife who is an exceptionally good sport

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12