Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Old Surveyor makes deer jerky from 35 year old recipe

Subscribed.

Actually, I tried my hand at some jerky, Sunday, but I should have searched this forum for instructions first.

I made the mistake of smoking a sirloin tip roast before slicing it. Afterwards, the slices were too thick for jerky, but I put them in a dehydrator anyway for a few hours. They taste OK, they don't have enough seasoning (I used Montreal Steak marinate). I guess I'll let my wife re-hydrate the slices in beef stock to add with rice or whatever.

Considering that I have a dehydrator, is it necessary to smoke beef strips beforehand? Also, since I don't have a slicer, would it be possible for a butcher to slice the meat (unfrozen) for me? Without a slicer, it looks like a job for a sharp butcher knife.

Great recipe and presentation, Bob! I hope to try it soon!
    Last edited by Rusty James; 10-22-2017 at 10:07 PM.
    18.5", 18.5", 14.5", & Royal Oak Lump / Briquettes

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty James View Post
    Subscribed.

Actually, I tried my hand at some jerky, Sunday, but I should have searched this forum for instructions first.

I made the mistake of smoking a sirloin tip roast before slicing it. Afterwards, the slices were too thick for jerky, but I put them in a dehydrator anyway for a few hours. They taste OK, they don't have enough seasoning (I used Montreal Steak marinate). I guess I'll let my wife re-hydrate the slices in beef stock to add with rice or whatever.

Considering that I have a dehydrator, is it necessary to smoke beef strips beforehand? Also, since I don't have a slicer, would it be possible for a butcher to slice the meat (unfrozen) for me? Without a slicer, it looks like a job for a sharp butcher knife.

Great recipe and presentation, Bob! I hope to try it soon!
    I've had the butcher slice it for me several times over the years. My advice: make more than you think. 4# will turn out close to 1# finished product. I've made jerky in the dehydrator, in the oven, strung on strings in the basement, and finally in the WSM. I recently started making sure I get it to 160F before drying after a little reading.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345