Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 Steps to Burger Brilliance: Excerpt from Weber's Big Book of Burgers by J Purviance

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne M. View Post
    Joan, just start at the first good sounding recipe and work your way through them all

Just on Chris's first point:
    My mum always ordered meat to go through the grinder once (coarse ground) and she would point at the beef she wanted
    This way she made sure she got good quality meat. It was ground in front of her. It was a bit more expensive though
    Hi Anne, thanks.

Last week DH ground up a pork tenderloin and on my suggestion added some bacon to grind with the pork. Then he made burgers on the grill. Sorry to say, I couldn't taste the bacon. Oh well, better luck next time. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Joan View Post
    Hi Anne, thanks.

Last week DH ground up a pork tenderloin and on my suggestion added some bacon to grind with the pork. Then he made burgers on the grill. Sorry to say, I couldn't taste the bacon. Oh well, better luck next time. lol
    Yes, I've had bacon burgers using a combo of ground beef and ground bacon and I'm sorry, I enjoy bacon more when it's fried in a skillet than lost in a burger.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    I once made a bacon bacon burger with a side of bacon that turned out pretty well.
    My arteries never forgave me though.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?636...t=bacon+burger

TVWBB Super Fan
    Thanks guys, your both right. Next time will use bacon with a little beef thrown in. lol
    Last edited by Joan; 12-17-2018 at 02:55 PM.

TVWBB Diamond Member Len Dennis's Avatar
    Like Chris says, bacon is lost. I'll mix a lb of bacon in with my 4 lb of sausage for the extra fat to get up to 5 lb. NO idea that smoked bacon is in there. Yes, it's got the fat but the "bacon" is lost.
    Last edited by Len Dennis; 12-17-2018 at 04:39 PM.
    So many recipes, so little time
    : Genesis gas grill 18.5" WSM Maverick ET-732 :

TVWBB Super Fan
    Chris, this is a great informative thread. How about giving it a "sticky"? Hate to see it get lost in the crowd. lol

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Joan View Post
    Chris, this is a great informative thread. How about giving it a "sticky"? Hate to see it get lost in the crowd. lol

Thanks Chris!!

My burger game went up a notch, when I started going to a butcher and getting ground chuck and ground sirloin, mixing 3 part chuck to one part sirloin.

That makes a great burger, the fatty chuck mixing with the lean sirloin, works well.
    2002 18" WSM , 1999 22 Kettle , 1983 Smokey Joe , 2019 26" Kettle , 2016 Spirit 3 Gasser , Old Country Brazos offset smoker

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Dollar View Post
    My burger game went up a notch, when I started going to a butcher and getting ground chuck and ground sirloin, mixing 3 part chuck to one part sirloin.

That makes a great burger, the fatty chuck mixing with the lean sirloin, works well.
    Good idea Lynn, at least until the doctor says otherwise. lol I'm so sick of all these recipes saying to use lean beef, and please, please, please farmers, start fattening up your pigs again. Pork is sooo tasteless now, at least to me. Wow, thanks for letting me vent here.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12