Throwdown #20: Pork Chops

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Congratulations to EnricoB for winning Throwdown #19: Beef Short Ribs! As winner, Enrico has the privilege of selecting the next throwdown ingredient:

PORK CHOPS!

Any cut from the whole pork loin qualifies as a pork chop. Blade chop, rib chop, center-cup chop, sirloin chop. Boneless or bone-in. Thin chops, thick chops, double-cut chops.

What not to cook for this throwdown: Pork Loin (Throwdown #9) or Pork Tenderloin (Throwdown #17).

Let's run this throwdown until Saturday, May 31 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time.

Good luck!

P.S. Remember, don't be intimidated! This isn't a barbecue competition, it's just for fun and friendship! Try it, you'll like it! And make sure to see the simple throwdown rules.

P.S.S. Remember, only 10 photos for each entry! Photo collages (multiple photos grouped into a single file) are OK, but each photo in the collage counts towards the 10 photo limit.

I'm going to cheat a little and just post a previous post I did on pork chops. These turned out very good and I enjoyed them very much. So if I'm breaking some major rules here I'm sorry. Here it is.
Got some pork chops on sale for 1.43/lbs these were pretty well cut chops, about 1.25in thick. Seasoned with s&p, garlic powder, rosemary, and a little chili powder. Let that set in the fridge for about an hour.

On the flip.

After the sear I put them on indirect to finish with a small chunk of pecan for smoke.

Your plate!

These were pretty much the best chops I've ever had! I'm a big fan of my new Craycort ci grill grate!
Thanks for looking! See ya next cook.

My entry for Throwdown #20 is Double Cut Bourbon Glazed Stuffed Pork Chops with Caramelized Onions and Bourbon Mashed Sweet Potatoes

Brined the chops in Kosher Salt, Brown Sugar, Peppercorns, Ground Mustard, and Apple Cider Vinegar.

Baked some Sweet Potatoes for the side dish

Made a stuffing with Corn Bread, Raisins, Dried Cherries, Sage, Walnuts, and Butter milk

Made a Bourbon Glaze with Maker's, Dijon, and Brown Sugar

Caramelized some onions in butter

Thanks for lookin at my cookin

I hesitated in adding this because my plated pics did not turn out from my smarter than me phone, but for the sake of camaraderie, and adding another entry, here's mine.
Apple Thyme Marinated WSM Chops
Started with six 3" chops marinated overnite in FAJC, Bragg's liquid aminos, Organic honey and Thyme. Did 6 nice bakers brined and 6 ears COTC also brined.
Ok, so a partial ring of Stubbs w/ Cherry&Apple were started with the MM.
20140511_151745.jpg

Adding the chops.
20140511_152914.jpg

20140511_152934+-+Copy.jpg

You can see the COTC basting in all that pork fat,apple thyme love on the bottom shelf after a few.
20140511_162628.jpg

So then I made a reduction of the leftover marinade and added that at the last minute.
20140511_162642+-+Copy.jpg

20140511_162723.jpg

That's it, that's all I got, but it sure was a tasty meal!

Tim

Marinated Pork Chops with Orange Glazed Acorn Squash and Baked Cheese Potatoes.

Barb and I decided to mix it up a little bit and do some different things we had talked about and make it all in one cook.

First up simple marinated pork chops with red wine vinegar, soy sauce and a package of zesty Italian dressing mix.
We then took an acorn squash split in half seasoned with melted butter and salt and pepper. Grilled it and basted it with a reduced orange glaze which used orange juice, brown sugar, allspice and cinnamon. At the same time we grilled some chopped apple, mushrooms, green onion, corn and pecans.
Added salt and pepper to the chops and grilled them over direct heat for 4 minuets a side.
Added some glaze to the apple veggie mixture and place it in the acorn half’s.
Brushed the chops with a light coating of glaze also.
The potatoes I covered in another post.

The flavors were wonderful and I would definitely do this cook again!

compdinner001_zps17ff0c79.jpg

compdinner005_zps4f6dc481.jpg

compdinner013_zpsd8b2ab9a.jpg

compdinner017_zps27de6000.jpg

compdinner019_zpsb2d6d133.jpg

compdinner024_zps4626a8a2.jpg

compdinner020_zps9b666886.jpg

compdinner029_zps4f16c6e9.jpg

compdinner031_zps76ba688c.jpg

compdinner035_zpsf15084ff.jpg

Thanks for stopping by.

Back