Vac Sealing PP - finishing sauce before or after?

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
I'm currently doing a couple of butts to take to a birthday party on Saturday, I was planning on applying my finishing sauce after I pull this afternoon, then cool, vac. seal and freeze. I got to thinking and was wondering other than convenience at the party why not sauce then vs. now. I think it would be easier to vac seal without the finishing sauce. Any thoughts?

i vacuum down without sauce 98% of the time. the other 2% of the time i add the finishing sauce put the PP in the sealer bag and throw it in the freezer for an hour so there is no liquid to mess up the seal.

I most often do it before -- but I don't use finishing sauce in a quantity that I'm concerned with vis-à-vis sealing. A touch more will get added when reheated. I could wait to do it all at that point but I don't. It only needs a slight adjustment (it's virtually ready to go) rather than a more involved reheat/taste/sauce/toss/taste/adjust sort of flow that needed, imo, were I to wait.

I pull the pork, mix in some more rub (same I used for the butt), then add the finishing sauce, then cool and vac seal. Never did it any other way. Works very well for me, so that's the way I do it.
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony C.:
i vacuum down without sauce 98% of the time. the other 2% of the time i add the finishing sauce put the PP in the sealer bag and throw it in the freezer for an hour so there is no liquid to mess up the seal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Tony, I have thought about doing it your way but I have been concerned that the bag will not seal properly after sitting in the freezer. Do you have any issues with it sealing after freezing?

Ended-up pulling, vac sealing and freezing. Then I transported the frozen PP to the party, it was thawed out the next morning, re-heated in short of boiling water then tossed with finishing sauce and rub. I really liked the results.

Back