Snake Method with an ATC?

Tim D.

TVWBB Fan
I'm planning on smoking bacon next weekend. To do this I am planning on temps to be about 160ish and I want to use my Stoker to help maintain that. Has anyone here used the "Snake Method" of setting charcoal while using the ATC? I'm just wondering if the location of the hot coals in conjunction with the blower matter....I hope this makes sense......Thanks for the help.

Tim

I haven't tried the snake method yet, but I just got a CyberQ ATC, and that is on my to-try list. Please take pics of the set up and keep us posted on results. I did a test burn yesterday using a small mound and a minion start. After playing around with several different temps I set the top vent to about 1/4 open and gave 160 a try, and it was able to hold it fine. I bet you'll be able to hold 160 for a loooong time using a snake setup.

Mark,

That's what I'm assuming as well, but I thought I would ask just to make sure. The last thing I want to do is screw up bacon! That would be a jail-able offense :)

Tim

SnakeMethod_zps3a1070b6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here was my snake setup when I smoked bacon last weekend. You can see the fan on the left side. I lit about 4 charcoal pieces and placed them at the beginning of the snake, which was located at about 10 o'clock. I didn't want to put the coals directly in front of the fan. When it was all said and done, after 5 hours, it burned almost halfway around the ring. I set the temp on my Stoker to 160 and it was rock steady! The hardest part was patiently waiting for the bacon to finish so I could taste it!

So the snake method works great with an ATC and I will be doing it again when I smoke the other half of my pork belly.

Tim

Back