Weatherproofing ATC

JS Lockwood

I'm curious if anyone has suggestions to rain-proof an ATC. I just got my first DigiQ and I'm wondering if there are useful ways to keep the rain out of the blower unit as well as the control unit. I'm guessing keeping the control unit dry would be simpler than the blower because you don't have to worry about the air intake.

I have the Stoker, which has a separate control unit and fan. The control unit is pretty easy...I have a plastic storage box with lid (about 18" by 12" x 6") that I cut out holes at each end. Power goes in one end, probe/fan wires go out the other end. Put on the lid, throw my cover from the WSM over it, and it is pretty much water tight in the box.

The blower is another story. I take a piece of aluminum foil, slide it in where the fan meets the vent, and pull the foil back to create a little "tent" over the fan assembly. I always worry that high winds might blow it off, but so far nothing like that has happened to me.

I'd send a pic but I'm at work...thought I'd give you some ideas.

1017231_494362287305408_344636531_n.jpg

Ziplock bag

Then there is always this low-tech solution. If it is raining, I don't want my smoker taking on water either, so my solution is this..........

A Bumpershoot for my WSM

For the blower, I took a 2-liter soft drink bottle and cut the bottom off, then cut a rectangular slot about 4-5" up one side just wide enough to accomodate the width of the vent attachment to the blower . If it looks like rain, I just slide the bottle down over the vent tube, and the blower motor ends up inside the bottle - but with the bottom removed, there is no problems with air supply. Works like a charm, No problems with heat distortion of the plastic, either.

Back