Do you like your toaster? I don't like mine:

I can't recommend any, and every one I have ever owned cooks one side darker than the other. I spent $50 on a Krups that I have right now.

maybe I'll try this:

Waring Pro TCO650 Digital Convection Oven:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005RRBMVW/tvwb-20

71ZMZ47g5JL._SL1500_.jpg

I've been using an incredibly ancient Black & Decker toaster oven for more years than I care to think about, but then I'm still using a mid-80s Quasar microwave. Anyway, in my opinion a toaster oven is the way to go for toast. I'm convinced that it has to do with larger heated space that makes for the nice even toasting. Dedicated toasters (IMO), leave crispy/soft spots across the bread due to the limited space.

Russ

My brother got us a Cuisinart 4 slice toast a few years ago. It works great! Pammi prefers a Black and Decker toaster oven for every day toasting and stuff.

I'm mainly a toast guy and the toaster oven portion would see use only very occasionally.

Just looked at ATK's toaster reviews and was shocked that all the very best ones were well north of $200! They do have a best buy - 'recommended with reservations' - the KitchenAid Model KMT222OB that is at Amazon for $60. Consumer reviews there aren't that great.

Their top rated toaster? Magimix Model Number: 11526US that retails for about $260. Next was the Dualit 2 slice which I think looks great, but it's also about $240.

I'm sticking with my old Black and Decker that was about $20.

Used black and decker for years...
Never a single problem.... Went out and bought a Oster a few years ago and it works like no one's business.

Used black and decker for years...
Never a single problem.... Went out and bought a Oster a few years ago and it works like no one's business.

My current one, I set the heat to med-high (darkness), wait like 9 minutes, hear the beep, set it to medium (darkness) and that's usually good. Just takes forever. I think I'll probably try this Panasonic before long, even if it seems a little strange

I prefer a toaster oven over a toaster.

Our toaster is one of those Paula Deen models that cooks eggs and meat on the side.

It does a fair job on toast, but I can do more with a toaster oven, and get toast quicker too.

A word of caution, our first Paula Deen toaster started smoking one day, but I was there to unplug it. The replacement (company sent it for free) has been problem free, but we keep it unplugged when not in use.

iu

Last edited:
We've got a somewhat older version of THIS critter:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000A1ZN1/tvwb-20

Once you get it dialed-in, it's pretty consistent for toast / bagels / etc.

Sometimes, it seems a little slow - but we have had it for about 10 years and it has been reliable, looks decent, and was not too costly. All-in-all, I think it's a pretty decent unit.
Stay away from the ones that use the quartz tubes - we had a Krups one like that and it was crap (left a brown stripe down the middle / still white on the top and bottom)
Look for one with a high-density of the "old-school" ziggy-zaggy heater element wires inside and a pull-out crumb tray for cleanout

I have a Kitchen-Aid single slot toaster that does a great job. Unfortunately, like most everything that works well, they discontinued it. I even had to buy a refurb because new ones were no longer available. That one's in storage.

Last year I bought another single slot one from Amazon. I forget the brand, but it has a see-through window in the front so you can watch your toast get brown. Instead of nichrome wires it has four rods that heat up. It would work great except the top front rod isn't adjusted right and it runs way too hot. I have to put the toast in upside down, leave it for a minute or so, then turn it over and let it go another couple minutes. That produces reasonably even toast. Without flipping the toast you get nice browning except for the upper portion of one side that's completely black.

As long as people have been making toast you'd think somebody would have developed a toaster that works well and doesn't fall apart in a year. Sadly, such seems not to be the case.

I got the panasonic one I linked above, it makes toast in 1:50, perfectly browned. I made some other frozen spinach/cheese pastries that were leftover in the freezer, home fries,,,,,, cubed potatoes for breakfast (par-cooked before going in the skillet). Not sure I'd recommend it yet as it's a little small at 9"x9", but for a toaster I'm loving it so far. I'll have to see how it handles other breads, I've just toasted Grandma Sycamores sunflower & honey

I almost blasted it with the fire extinguisher last night - I put a couple tostada shells with a slice of cheese directly on the grate and hit the toast button. Ding! and it's smokey & the food's on fire! I blew on it, waved a dish towel at it, had a fire extinguisher in my hand but then I grabbed a spatula & pulled the stuff out & into the sink. ???????????????

Perhaps it would be wise to keep a close eye on things until you have a feel for how fast it cooks. I've lit garlic cheese bread on fire in the broiler before. When there's a lot of heat involved you have to keep close watch. Food has a lot of energy in it. If the moisture content gets low enough it will burn like crazy. Have you ever seen the Myth Busters where they turned a hard salami into a rocket? You get enough heat and oxygen involved and salami will burn with a passion.

And a follow up to my previous post in case anyone cares. The windowed toaster is from Dash. I'm certain the one I have is defective as the top front element glows much brighter than the top rear one. Most likely there's a defective resistor or something on the control board that's allowing too much current through. If not for this defect the thing would work very well.

My regular oven (samsung gas convection) does a lot better job at everything that ovens do, but this Panasonic has earned a place for just toast(ing sandwich bread). 2 slices takes 1 min 50 seconds (1 slice takes closer to 2.5 min). Perfect little toaster, but not such a great toaster oven. So now I have 2 toaster ovens in my kitchen :)

Back