Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weber Q1000 Griddle #6558

TVWBB Member

Weber Q1000 Griddle #6558

I've seen a lot of pictures online, where a metal spatula is used with the Weber Q griddle #6558. Interestingly the instructions say not to use a metal utensil, as it could damage the griddle surface coating. Yet there is even a picture on the Weber store page showing a metal spatula being used with this griddle. I'm confused.

I don't own one but soon to be in the market. It specs as Weber Q griddle #6558 made of porcelain-enameled cast-iron which is the same material as most grill grates, so I don't know why they would recommend not using a metal spat?

Tim
    Different smokes for different folks. Wish the Dollar Store sold gas!

TVWBB Member
    Quote Originally Posted by timothy View Post
    I don't know why they would recommend not using a metal spat?
    Well, because metal can end up scratching off the porcelain-enamel. Porcelain-enamel is not bullet proof, it can be chipped and cracked.

UPDATE: I called Weber Customer Support and was told to do what the instructions suggest. They didn't know why they show a picture with this product and a metal spatula, even though it's shown on their web site and on the griddle instruction manual. So it's okay to use a metal spatula on the porcelain-enameled cooking grates on my grill, but not with the porcelain-enameled griddle. I did however notice that the porcelain-enameled griddle surface is rougher than the grill's porcelain-enameled cooking grates, so maybe that's the reason. Not exactly sure why Weber used a difference surface texture for the griddle. The surface is more like how the old Weber Q porcelain-enameled cooking grates used to be, more cast ironish and less smooth porcelain.

Okay so if I have to use a plastic spatula, it seems like this griddle's rough surface could file it down. I'm confused and wish Weber would provide some information.
    Last edited by KevinH; 04-14-2014 at 06:27 PM.

TVWBB Member
    I contacted Weber customer support again today because I wanted to see if they can suggest what kind of spatula can be used with this griddle. He was going to have a supervisor review the issue and get back with me. This is the response from that supervisor:

Dear Customer,
    Thanks for choosing Weber. They mean not to use a metal scraper to clean off the griddle. If you use a scraper it can damage the exterior of the griddle. For that you want to use a bristle brush. You can use any spatula you’d like to flip your food.

Sean

Weber/Ducane Evening Customer Service Supervisor

I responded back to him quoting what the griddle instruction manual states.

CAUTION: Using a metal spatula on the griddle surface can cause damage to the porcelain-enmal finish.

Clearly Weber employees don't even know their products.

TVWBB Member
    Finally I got someone at Weber that confirmed a metal spatula can be used with the griddle. Here is what their parts department said concerning the griddle instruction manual saying not to use a metal spatula:

“This statement is misleading and will be changed in our instructions. The concern is that people don’t gouge the griddle. Stainless steel is a good material for our barbecue tools – we just need to update our griddle instructions. We will update to something similar to: To preserve the life and performance of your enameled cookware, do not gouge or use sharp metal utensils. Gouging or scraping with sharp metal utensils can damage the enameled surface.”

Finally got around to getting one of these griddles. I love it! Made some burgers last night and they were great. I really love the little Q grill and how much you can do with it. The add-on's I have (portable cart, light and now the griddle) really make it versatile. It won't replace my kettles, but this is much easier to transport!

http://imgur.com/a/zTlOp
    Last edited by Marcus Brannon; 03-20-2017 at 07:34 AM.
    Original Kettle - Smokey Joe - 18.5" Smokey Mountain - Q1200 - 14.5" Smokey Mountain

TVWBB Olympian
    Nice. But I found a cast iron griddle that would fit most of that. I guess that allows you to cook two differant ways at the same time.

I had trouble finding one that would fit, plus allow you to use one side still with the regular grate. Being porcelain coated has an advantage in that it's a little easier to take care of.

Also, this has two holes to allow grease to drain safely away from the burner. That's something I have trouble with my lodge griddle I use on my kettle. There's no drain.. and even if there was, there'd be a constant grease fire if you aren't careful!
    Original Kettle - Smokey Joe - 18.5" Smokey Mountain - Q1200 - 14.5" Smokey Mountain

TVWBB Olympian
    Understood. Now I want to find one for my
    go anywhere were I can close the lid. The small one I have will work but have to leave the lid off.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus Brannon View Post
    Finally got around to getting one of these griddles. I love it! Made some burgers last night and they were great. I really love the little Q grill and how much you can do with it. The add-on's I have (portable cart, light and now the griddle) really make it versatile. It won't replace my kettles, but this is much easier to transport!

http://imgur.com/a/zTlOp
    That looks awesome. I should buy one for when I want to cook outside but not necessarily grill. Which.......I guess is the point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast