Version 4.0 build - from UK

Aaron H

Hi, only just stumbled upon this temp controller today.
finding it difficult to find parts in the UK and tried to match parts via digi key using the list on mouser.
I did not want to order from both places because of delivery cost.

Anyway, can anyone more knowledgeable than me confirm this looks ok:-
Biggest (most expensive) change is the lcd

http://www.digikey.co.uk/short/9bzw2

Ignore the extra quantities. I get free delivery on £50 & my basket was hovering around £45 - so got some spares.

Thanks for the swift supply.
Out of curiosity (and wanting a red background led) what makes it incompatible?

Thanks

The RGB background LCDs have 18 pins (3 backlight pins) and HeaterMeter has a 16 pin connector (1 backlight pin). Also they're arranged differently. Instead of being 15=Backlight 16=Back.Ground, they're 15=Back.Ground (common cathode) 16=R 17=G 18=B.

The RGB background LCDs have 18 pins (3 backlight pins) and HeaterMeter has a 16 pin connector (1 backlight pin). Also they're arranged differently. Instead of being 15=Backlight 16=Back.Ground, they're 15=Back.Ground (common cathode) 16=R 17=G 18=B.

Ah, thanks.
Ill get everything ordered. Going to take a few weeks for the board n stuff to arrive. Im sure ill have more qq's then

If I recall correctly, Bryan, you are using a different type of display from the original HM these days? (one that is easier to see in sunlight) What display is that, is it on the v4.1 BOM, and is there a 4-line version of it that will work with the HM? I've been using the MDL-20464B 4-line display but will need to buy another display soon and would like to explore my options...

They work I had one on my first hm. But you would not be able to install the Lcd directly to the board it would need a cable and also if I remember I had to add a transistor to the Lcd to get the correct voltage for the back light.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly, Bryan, you are using a different type of display from the original HM these days? (one that is easier to see in sunlight) What display is that, is it on the v4.1 BOM, and is there a 4-line version of it that will work with the HM? I've been using the MDL-20464B 4-line display but will need to buy another display soon and would like to explore my options...

Ralph,

Search mouser or digikey for NHD-0420DZ-FSW-FBW

If I recall correctly, Bryan, you are using a different type of display from the original HM these days? (one that is easier to see in sunlight) What display is that, is it on the v4.1 BOM
The 4.1 BOM lists a "Gray on Green" display as the default now instead of the old "white on black" transmissive. Any of the "Transreflective" displays will be easy to read in full sunlight. I've got some pictures in the Wiki Color Gallery.

For more options I find it easier to go through NewHaven's site, LCD Character Modules.

my electronics turned up today.
now I need to wait for the board. ended up removing the spares & getting 2x LCD screens to see which I prefer

ok,
board built
No Pit Probe on LCD (small LED are all off)
moved joystick - looks like I have installed it upside down as not everything is functioning Down to move options higher & push right & down for select - up, centre, left, right do nothing.
no network connectivity with WIFI adapter (edimax)

Anyone give me some pointers?

ok joystick fixed
network connectivity setup
still no led lights
lcd stuck on saying no pit probe (my probe is from a maverick 732 though & i have tried placing it in not all the way etc.)

any helpers?

Did you go into the configuration and change the probe coefficients to the Maverick 732? Also try heating the probe by placing it in a glass of warm water, a lot of people have problems reading room temperatures because they are bouncing off the bottom of the probe's usable range so they read as "Off".

Looks like I have a grounding issue with the probes. I did change the software setting to 732, but it made no difference.

Hold them onto the RasPi ethernet/usb casing & they work. I have managed to find a thread with similar problem who replaced the probes.

I am not going to damage my probes as I hope to sell my maverick once this is working, so I have ordered some replacements that are better suited.
Hopefully they will be here in a few days. As this was only for testing purposes.

Im excited it all looks like its working. I kinda botched the solder in places as well as melting the Rasp connector! but its working

Hi Aaron,

Just catching up on your post... I'm in the uk and have built a number of different versions of the linkmeter and heater meter over the past few years.

Let me know if you're struggling with parts and I can give you some pointers to other suppliers in the uk.

Nick

cheers.
Got my new probes in the post yesterday. Plugged it in & all worked flawlessly.
I got everything from Digi-Key except for the atmega chip & joystick which I got from RS components.
I forgot to subsitute my LCD display, but it works - though I have no back light after I botched soldered it. Not really bothered about a backlight cos I plan to use web interface.

Back