Chicken & Black Bean Meatloaf

Gary S

TVWBB Guru
Here's a method for making some great chicken meatloaf. It's easy, healthy and very tasty. I generally use 15 boneless skinless thighs and a couple of boneless breasts. I emulsify them in my food processor and create from there. This time, fresh garlic, Simon & Garfunkel seasoning blend, Yard Bird, black pepper, fresh multigrain bread crumbs, two eggs and some left over beans. Topped with Montreal Chicken seasoning. Sometimes I use salsa. Next time I think I will go with cilantro, salsa and black beans.

For the first 30 minutes the mixture was very moist. Left in a full pan and gradually undressed from there, smoked with pecan.

Cooked to 170F.

Kevin, this had a cooked weight of approx. 3-1/2lb. I did not time it but about 2-1/2 hours. The bread crumbs make it very dense. I have used ground oatmeal but I prefer the fresh bread crumbs. When cold this meatloaf slices very thinly making it great for sandwiches. Easy to do in a kettle or WSM. I've been using the Keg lately.

GaryS;
That is a good looking meatloaf. I like the loaf pan. That looks easy to use. Nice technique in finishing it on the vegetable rack.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

looks good Gary. Very interesting take on meatloaf. Honestly I've never thought of doing one w/out beef. Figured the texture would be all wrong. How long have you been cooking them this way?

looks good Gary. Very interesting take on meatloaf. Honestly I've never thought of doing one w/out beef. Figured the texture would be all wrong. How long have you been cooking them this way?

A few years. My family raves about them. I do them with Beef, beef and pork mixed and sometimes ground turkey. I've been making my own sausage for years and I use many sausage seasoning recipes for some of the meatloaves I make. The black bean idea came about in the last couple of years looking for ways to eat some of these foods in a more healthy way. They also add volume and reduce the cost. I use beans now in some of my sausage recipes so it follows for the meatloaf. Bonless skinless chicken thighs are easy to buy, I get them most at Costco and by trimming the excess fat and allowing them to drain when cooking you come up with a really great product.

Last edited:

Back