Case Ideas

Frank R

I built three HM 4.1's, and just got the first one up and running with a few cooks this weekend. I was able to get a case and one RotoDamper printed from a company printer, but the case didn't turn out to my standards. I have a 3D printer coming to me in the next few weeks that i'll be building, but, that means i wont be printing a final case any time soon. My grill is a Vision Classic from Costco. I contacted Vision, and found I can get a replacement side table for $25. I'm considering cutting out a hole for the LCD, and step drilling a hold for the control to push through. The LEDs would be pretty easy to install into the table as well. I figured the bottom side would house the HM and Pi, and could be hidden with a radioshack project box, or something similar. My concern would be cooking in the rain. I'm sure I can find a way to seal in the LCD, but the controller isn't as easy to do. Has anyone done a similar integration with their grill?

Heres a picture of my grill.
oos350-538124-847__2.jpg

The built-in look is pretty appealing, but I think it creates problems. How about mounting it so the display and controls are accessible from the front, under the table? Any cutting you do is going to require a lot of sealing work to keep rain out of those horizontal openings. Keep it all underneath and you take advantage of the good solid canopy you've got there.

Of course, you could cut a clear acrylic topper that would let you see the display and lcds, then slide aside if you needed to access the button.

Back