Grilled potato wedges--anyone know how to make them crunchier?

ChangL

TVWBB Fan
How's this for healthy eating: grilled potato wedges.

I got this far: russet potatoes, garlic, olive oil, kosher salt, and grill them for ~8 minutes on each side (I consider a potato wedge to have 3 sides). I just did this now on my Q200. The Q200 can hold 4 large russet potatoes that have been cut into wedges. Everything turned out great, except the wedges don't have that crunch you get from deep frying them.
Does anyone know of a simple method to make them crunchier?

I've only done them on my OTG, indirect till they feel probe tender, than direct to crisp them up. I use one of those pump up oil misters and give them a few spritzes at the end.
I use a wedge cutter that looks like this vvvvvvvvv and that seems to give them more surface area to brown.
edit: Found a pic.
post-41580-0-95329800-1347840786.jpg

Tim

Last edited:
You know I was thinking about this he ither day. Every time I grill potato wedges they seem crispy and perfect till I put the meat on the grill. Seems to me the meat add a lot of extra moisture to the grill and sogs the wedges. Not sure how to solve the problem as I like to cook my entire meals on the grill if possible.

-rog

I've never had great luck with russets unless I parboil them first. I think it has to do with their high starch content. My favorite potato to grill raw is Yukon Gold cut into 3/4 inch thick slices. I have found that the best way to get a good crust no matter which potato is to use plenty of salt. Red potatoes are by far my least favorite because they are difficult to get to crust. I grill over medium heat and have made them directly on the Q-100 grate but use a grill pan when doing on my Summit or over charcoal on a kettle.

SundayLunch1_zps541c857f.jpg

SundayLunch2_zps03b17147.jpg

Those look nice, Don! I see you got that Performer with the cast iron insert. Pre-boiling is a method I've been told is necessary. I didn't think it was essential. I'm going to have to try it that way next time.

Good point--I think I'm going to brush them with another layer of olive oil while turning them on the grill next time.

How's this for healthy eating: grilled potato wedges.

I got this far: russet potatoes, garlic, olive oil, kosher salt, and grill them for ~8 minutes on each side (I consider a potato wedge to have 3 sides). I just did this now on my Q200. The Q200 can hold 4 large russet potatoes that have been cut into wedges. Everything turned out great, except the wedges don't have that crunch you get from deep frying them.
Does anyone know of a simple method to make them crunchier?

i have never been able to get the same crunch as deep frying, and I don't know that i ever will.M y biggest issue has been the outside getting too done before the inside. I have found that zapping them in the microwave first to get the inside going before they go on the grill helps. Are you coating in oil? I have found that helps give a better outside also.

i have never been able to get the same crunch as deep frying, and I don't know that i ever will.M y biggest issue has been the outside getting too done before the inside. I have found that zapping them in the microwave first to get the inside going before they go on the grill helps. Are you coating in oil? I have found that helps give a better outside also.

As long as the spears are not too thick, you shouldn't have a problem with the outside getting too done before the inside. [One large russet potato yielded 10-12 evenly sized spears for me.] If you serve them right away, they'll have some light crunch, but the crunchiness goes away after a while. I guess this is the same for any French fry, too! I didn't get to coat them in oil while cooking again. Will have to try that soon.

Has any one tried dusting them with a little baking powder? I could be wrong, but heard that helps for crisp-up.
I tried it once and thought they tasted fake, almost a metallic flavor.

Tim

When I do potatoes on the the grill I like to put them in a pot of cold water and bring to a boil, once it hits a boil I shut the flame off and leave in the water for about 5 minutes. I can do this while getting the coals ready and once the grill is ready I coat with olive oil and what ever seasoning I plan on using and throw them on.

if you want the outside of your potatoes extra crunchy, either cook them in water with a little baking soda, or rough them up in a bowl after they're par-cooked (or both) to create a surface layer of disrupted starch. oil that, cook on high indrect heat. the outer layer will get crispy.

i've actually put a bit of oil in a cast iron skillet on the grill and finish them off that way.... just be careful removing them b/c of dripping oil and I used a deep CI skillet for fear of splattering oil into coals.

I'm with John, except on my Q I have a griddle that I use instead of a cast iron skillet. Home fries or pan fries are the only way I've found to get a crispy potato without deep frying. They're very nostalgic for me, too. My mom made the absolute best home fries in the world, and we had them quite often. I can only hope to eventually get a technique that gets close to hers. She didn't use a mandolin, she didn't use a cutting board, she didn't par-boil...she sliced the potatoes over the skillet full of hot oil, cutting against her thumb, yet never burned or cut herself. She used an old Revere ware copper bottomed skillet that was just slightly thicker than a sheet of aluminum foil. It kills me that I have every gadget Williams-Sonoma comes out with, and can't hold a candle to Mom in the kitchen.

To get that crunch, first soak peeled russet potatoes in hot water for about 10 minutes. Then parboil them, as many on this thread have said, but add a half-teaspoon of baking soda to the boiling water. This will set up a chain reaction. After five minutes, drain the potatoes and dump them on a big cookie sheet that is lightly covered with oil and place on the grill under high heat. Check after five minutes and rotate as necessary.

Here's another way. Soak the potatoes in hot water for ten minutes; then dry them with paper towels and place on a cookie sheet that is lightly coated with oil. Season. Cover all with aluminum foil and place on grill under high heat for five minutes. After five minutes, remove foil and rotate and flip as needed until done, another 15-20 minutes.

One word: Vortex.

Just throwing that out there, I have not tried fries with the Vortex but it may produce the results you are looking for. I think I am going to have to give it a try.

Back