Venison Sausage -- Could use some help...

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
I've seen a bunch of the recipes on the site. But I'm not quite sure what to do:

I've got I think 10 pounds of venison trimmings from when I butchered a deer back in Nov 2012. It's been frozen all along. And I've got a slab of D'Artangan fat back. And hog casings. (Do these go bad? I've got a new batch, but I've also got an unopened bag of casings that are a year old.) And I have some pink salt.

I don't have a smoking chamber -- just the Weber (18 & 22).

I'm thinking about one of these recipes that StefanB posted a while ago. Am I correct that if I use the Prague Powder I have to smoke the sausages? I'm worried that if I try to smoke them in the Weber I'll screw it all up. Should I just do the more basic recipe? Or just leave the prague powder out of the country sausage? Any thoughts?

Smoked Venison Country Sausage

6 lbs. venison 1 lb. water 1 tbsp. ground white pepper 4 tsp. onion powder 2 level tsp. Prague Powder No. 1
4 lbs. fat pork butts 6 tbsp. salt 3 ozs. corn syrup solids 1 tsp. ground nutmeg 2 cups soy protein concentrate

Grind all meat through a 1/4” grinder plate and mix all ingredients well. Stuff into 32-35mm hog casings and link into 6” links Remove to preheated smokehouse at 120oF., with dampers wide open for about 1 hour or until sausage is dry.Then apply heavy smoke,gradually increasing temperature of smokehouse to 160oF. Damper is to be about 1/4 open while the smokhouse heat is increased at the rate of 10oF. every 30 minutes. Hold until internal temperature reaches 152oF. Remove from smoker and shower with cool water until internal temperature reaches 110oF. Remove and place in cooler for 24 hours before using.

Hunter’s Venison Sausage

4 lb. ground venison 4 lb. ground pork 2 tablespoons salt 2 teaspoons black pepper 3/4 teaspoon mace 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg 1/4 teaspoon cloves 1/2 teaspoon all-spice 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

Mix venison and pork together.Add approx. 1/2 cup hot water to meat to gain desired texture for sausage press. Add spices and mix well.

Back