Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weber Q - low flame or no flame

TVWBB Super Fan
    $23.66 out the door, and now my Q220 has the flame it never had. Needed to get a new hose anyway (old hose was starting to crack) and came across this mod. Now I just need to figure out which is the adapter to go back to bottle when I use it for camping. Thanks for posting this!
    Smoke 'Em If Ya Got 'Em

I bought the pictured parts at HD, and yes it was around $23.00. I cleaned out the burner tube and orifice with compressed air. After installing the parts, the grill lit on the first try. I think the blue flames are bigger after the install.

I am doing this same conversion on my Weber Q 120 with the same Home Depot brass fittings only I am using a 5ft Sportsman regulator/hose kit which I am still waiting it for in the mail.
    Weber Q 120

Many, many thanks for your post! I followed your directions exactly, right down to buying the parts at Home Depot. It solved my problem. Bill

This thread has really helped me - many thanks. Bill

mine is finicky when moved, once it's worked once, the problem seems to stay away. I should've connected the hose and tried to fire it when we first got there but I waited until we were ready to eat. I had to try & re-try a few times before it lit. I'll look into this mod if I don't have it figured out...

How I kept the grate from bouncing around:

bungee
    18.5 WSM > 22.5 One-Touch Platinum > Genesis Silver B > Smokey Joe Gold > Q100 + Q100 = Q200 > Go Anywhere Gas

I went ahead & did this mod - I don't really plan on using the 1# canisters ever again so.... The exact parts (hose/regulator) weren't available and I didn't feel like driving around... Mine cost about $10 more than expected.

I plan on using it twice this weekend----I wanted to do a trial run for lunch today and it sputtered & failed, that's why I did it. I'm taking uncle Steve (not my uncle) skiing for his birthday, & my cousin Ryan skiing this weekend....one saturday, the other Sunday...burning tickets off a 10-use pass before the season's over. I took my friend Will last Sunday, & while I like the bar etc, I don't like $9 beers (they have a $6 shot & beer combo) and $12 entrees. Anyway, here's what I used and thanks to the others for guidance: I got the parts at Lowes

18.5 WSM > 22.5 One-Touch Platinum > Genesis Silver B > Smokey Joe Gold > Q100 + Q100 = Q200 > Go Anywhere Gas

Great explanation of problem and repair info. Separating the gas valve and regulator required gently rocking my wrench back and forth to break the threads free and unscrew them. Even so, I had to clean a few threads from the regulator off the gas valve threads. Because I didn't want the new hose cantilevered off the brass threads of the gas valve, I put a semi-circular clamp around the hose and bolted the clamp to the black metal plate that formerly held the regulator. I then bolted the plate to the grill handle.[IMG]20190624_150609.jpg[/IMG]

Thank goodness for this thread. I picked up a free Q200 grill left on the street in my neighborhood. They were giving it away for free. After cleaning and buying a 25lb tank of gas, I fired it up and only got a wee little blue flame. i called Weber and they said probably the regulator so I ordered one and installed it. It work for a bit but still couldn't reach temps above 450 deg. and many times the temp would fade. So i went back to searching online and lo and behold, here was the post by Ira B. So I took my original regulator and valve, removed the regulator and did the hack with the parts procured by Home Depot. Thank you all for posting those specific parts. Made finding them easy. Bought a proper hose and regulator for about $10. Total parts to fix: $24.45. Total cost for my grill: $24.45. (I was actually thinking of buying a grill Ha!)
    I fired up the grill and got it up to 600 degrees!

And to top it off, Weber sent me a RMA and lable so I can return the new Regulator that I first bought thinking it was the problem. I love Weber and their customer service!!!

Last edited by ChrisCMM; 07-29-2019 at 05:58 AM.

That grill in on the cart backwards but nice find

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast