ALERT - Weber Rib Racks that fit the 14.5

Jeff Padell

TVWBB Pro
I stopped in at Home Depot today to just check to see if they had any BBQ stuff out yet. It was fully stocked! One thing that caught my eye was a Weber Rib Rack. It says it fits the 18.5 and it certainly does, I tried it on a SJS that they had on display and it fit like a glove! It has 5 slots so with two of them on the 14.5 or a mini you could do 5 racks of ribs. It does fit on the bottom grate of the 14.5 and my mini.
CONS: The only thing I can see is that because the fit is tight, the half racks on the two ends might get their ends or even the entire half overcooked. Now I wish that instead of doing country ribs today I was doing a rack. :wsm:

I would certainly double foil (with HD foil) the outer 3 inches of each rack you put the ribs on. That way the ends won't be exposed to radiant heat, making them much less likely to overcook or burn.

The Brinkman is a much better fit for the 14.5 and Mini-Joe - I have cooked 8 half ribs (at a time) on the Mini and there are NO overcooked ends. In fact, the ribs are the most evenly cooked I have turned out on ANY smoker due to this rack and using half ribs. You WILL have overcooked ribs on the Weber unless you limit yourself to a maximum of three half racks per grate (compared to 4 half racks per grate on the Brinkman).

Not trying to rain on anybody's parade but for the small smokers, the Brinkman is clearly superior.

JMHO

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I have the Brinkman and use it in my 14.5 I will try both and see what I get. Weber says the Weber rack is for the 18.5, but I see 2 can fit on the top of my 22.5 and that would give me 10 racks of half ribs.

Since I will use the two of them on my 22.5 to get 5 rack on one grate while doing stuff on the other grate I figured they may very well work for the 14.5

One other thing I noticed is from personal experience it is almost impossible for me to put wrapped ribs back in the Brinkman rack without tearing the foil, the Weber has more space between uprights.

Jeff;
>>>One other thing I noticed is from personal experience it is almost impossible for me to put wrapped ribs back in the Brinkman rack without tearing the foil, the Weber has more space between uprights.<<<

You are absolutely correct. I have countered that by not using the rib racks after I wrap the ribs. I just stack them (on their sides) giving as much space as seems practical and they finish without a problem. Since they are wrapped in aluminum foil, there is no air circulating around them so it isn't a problem (as it would be if they were "naked"). If you plan to sauce after a time in the foil, you can return the racks and stack the naked (but sauced) ribs back on the rack to set the sauce. At least, that's what I do. I have room next to my smoker for a work table, so I have plenty of room to work.

To help maintain heat in my smoker when I am working on the ribs and racks, I put the lid on as soon as possible. Then when the ribs are foiled, I open it and lay the ribs back on the smoker. Same thing, when unfoiling, saucing, and returning to the smoker. I try to keep the lid on as much as possible.

As an aside, aren't these "petite" smokers useful, practical, and a lot of fun?!

Just a thought...

Keep on smokin',
Dale53
:wsm:

Last edited:
I can fit two full racks up top w/o the rib rack :)

2h56zbk.jpg

When you roll them do they start to separate as they get done, between the ribs I mean, (like lifting from the end)

I have the 6605 and use it in an 18.5 WSM.
The problem I have with the 6605 are the lower cross members.
You don't notice the issue until you use it.

When I cut a typical rack in half, the halves are often not long enough to make it across the span so that they are supported.
I use bamboo skewers carefully placed to help support the ribs so that they don't fall through when necessary.
Another remedy would be to add a rod of some sort down the center of the 6605.
Looks like the closer rod span (spacing) on bottom of the Brinkman solves this issue.

I am going to look at coiling or using skewers alone (4 per two half-racks) next time to try to get away from the 6605 rack.
I wish I never bought it, actually.

Last edited:
Bump ... I just bought the brinkman rib rack and it fits well on the bottom rack, but the top rack won’t allow the lid to sit all the way down

I just picked up the Brinkman rack and it fits perfectly in my 14.5 WSM; no issues closing the lid. Was a bit nervous after hearing your troubles but to a chance and it fits. will be trying it out next week for my mother in-laws birthday!

Back