Smokey Joe Gold Dampers

E Mann

TVWBB Fan
!!!STUPID QUESTION ALERT!!!

I just unpacked my SJG and see that the dampers on the bottom bowl are a little different than the typical dampers. Can someone take a few pics of the dampers & how they work? It would be much appreciated.

My build will be occurring the last weekend in March & I need to get some ideas together. Thanks!!

are they not on the side ? just put the washer on the wire bale, then the damper and install. was gonna give you a link to the manual but webers site is messed up.

Thanks guys, I followed the man code and did the following:

1) Took everything out of the box
2) Put the directions aside
3) Assembled the smoker correctly
4) Looked at the manual (pictures only)
5) reached out to the crowd at TVWBB

I do see how they work but wanted to confirm since they were rectangular & different than the typical circle dampers.

E Mann;
The dampers get REALLY hot on the Mini-Joe Gold. I keep a pair of water pump pliers handy to adjust them. After you get the Mini dialed in, you will have little adjusting to do. I find that I have to do little "chasing" when using the mini's. A couple of adjustments and they seem "good to go"... They seem to hold temperature really well. I just lock the bail in it's provided clip to keep it out of the way, and use the pliers when necessary.

One thing might be helpful - on my 18.5, I have better luck "catching" the temps on the way up (I start shutting down the vents when the temperature reaches 200 if I am shooting for 275). With the Mini-Joe, I wait until I reach my target temp, THEN shut the vents down (not completely). YMMV

FWIW
Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Last edited:
Here's a pretty good shot:

eyedoctor030210006.jpg

Back