Genesis 1000 burner issue

Wayne Dimirsky

TVWBB Super Fan
When I fire the grill up, the center burner toward the left side turns cherry red, like its getting too hot. The flames also look smaller than the other two burners. On low, all of the burners try to go out. The burners, flavorizer bars, and grates are all new. The flavorizer bars and grates are SS. The manifold and regulator hose is original and I replaced the quick connect regulator with a new style one.

Does anyone know what could be causing the cherry red burner? Is the manifold going bad? The original manifold is fairly rusty on the outside and the knobs don't seem to turn as smoothly as they should. I've ordered a new manifold from Weber but I want some opinions on what else I should be looking at. Thanks.

Wayne

I just received my new manifold from Weber so I guess I will find out if it fixes the problem. Of course it needs to warm up before I get out there to mess with it.

Wayne

Wayne
I had a case of the cold weather a couple of weeks ago. went outside (about 28) to warm up one of the platinums about 10 min, rushed out ant put the rib eyes on, back in side, waited 4 and 1/3 min ran out turned them. another 4.5 min went out to get them and noticed the temp was only about 300. Needless to say I finished them in a skillet.

A case of almost empty propane tank with summer gas. A refill and it works again

Gary, would the gas itself cause the cherry red burner? I think I will trade in this tank of gas for a new one and see if that helps anything. I still need to install the new manifold first whenever it gets warm enough.

Wayne

Wayne

I really don't know. The only thought I have is related to my Performer. If I light it before the gas gets to the end the fire stays in the burner. I know that gets the burner much hotter than it normally is and it doesn't work to light the charcoal. But red hot burners I really don't know.
as to the knobs turning with more effort that is probably because the "gas valve grease" has turned to gue. The other night with my steaks the burners were just burning very low and evenly from one end to the other.

If you still have a problem with the new manifold the only two things left are the regulator and the air shutters on the burners.

Your gas might have a lower pressure but it should burn ok. Around here I have my tanks filled at the U-haul store which charges by the gallon, so if you have one of those have your tank topped off and consider it good.

I just got off the phone with Weber Customer Service yesterday for a (hopefully) regulator issue.

Temps would not go over 200F - little little blue flames. I tried doing the regulator bypass reset, and the CS walked me through it again to no avail.

Sending out a new regulator - so hopefully I'll have that installed this weekend.

So point of my story - I don't think a regulator would cause red flames.

My flames are not red, just the end of the middle burner gets so hot that it glows red. I'm going to try and put on the new manifold tomorrow since its supposed to be in the forties. I just hope that the middle burner is not ruined from the heat. The new manifold also comes with a new regulator so that should take care of two potential problems.

Wayne

The new manifold/regulator assembly took care of the problem. The grill works like it should. Now to do a first cook on it.

Wayne

Good to hear Wayne. I got my new QCC1 regulator in the mail (two day shipping from Weber - NICE)

Now I just need the weather to improve just a tad....

GREAT!!!!!
Now heat it up and cook a couple of Prime Rib Eye steaks about 1 and 1/4 inch thick you will be blown away.

any way good cooks your way

Thanks guys. It turned very cold again so the outside cooking is going to have to wait again. Last winter I was able to grill quite a bit but this winter has been colder and much more snow. Hopefully soon.

Wayne

Not to worry

I am such a wimp that the temp this evening was 39 with 35mph wind and I just ordered pizza

thank god for pappa john

Hey Wayne glad to hear Weber took care of your burner problem, they have come through for me several times in the past. Just a thought from a problem they helped me correct a few years ago. When I took the manifold off the grill they told me to insert a coat hanger into each burner tube and wiggle it around to clean out any possible spider webs, even with the spider gaurds in place it is possible. Just a thought in case it would help in the future. Enjoy your Weber!!

Unfortunately Weber did not give me the new manifold assembly, I had to pay for it. I bought all new burners so they were still clean with no spiders or webs. Heck, its been too cold for spiders here lately.

I still have not had a chance to cook on this grill yet. The weather is not cooperating at all. Hopefully soon.

Wayne

Wayne

Remember me (far south texas) well today it snowed! This is the place that had over 100 days at over 100 degrees last summer.

Not much mind you but snow just the same. Think it was the first time in over 10 years, about 1/2 inch. Took lots of pictures of such a rare event.

Any way no cooking tonight

lol

I remember you gary. Snow in Texas, I can't believe it. LOL. We had more snow here in MO this year than we have had for years. The sad part is I have not cooked on any of my grills this winter like I did last winter. Maybe this week as its supposed to get in the 60's.

Wayne

Well, I did my first cook today on the Genesis 1000 and the center burner got cherry red again, like its way too hot. Everything is new so I don't know what the problem could be. Manifold, regulator, burners, grates, and flavorizer bars are all new. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Wayne

Well, I called Weber CS today and asked about this burner issue. I guess the replacement burner set I bought was the old style which was like the original. The newer replacement middle burner and crossover tube are supposedly different. The middle burner only has one set of holes in it instead of two and it mounts to the crossover tube in a different manner. I guess the two row of holes in the middle burner causes the burner to get too hot. The lady said that back then, they usually turned the middle burner way down or totally off and it was used for a lot of indirect cooking.

I'm not sure if I should try to buy the newer style middle burner and crossover tube or just leave my middle burner off or very low. I don't know if the grill will get hot enough with just two burners going as sometimes it has trouble getting to the higher temps with all three going.

Wayne

well, I went ahead and bought the new middle burner and crossover tube. The new burner has one set of holes but they are on the top of the burner instead of the sides like the two end burners.

I turned all of the burners on high and it took a little while for it to come up to full temp. Once it did get hot, it stayed real hot even after I turned all burners on low. The middle burner no longer gets beet red on high but the flavorizer bar over the middle burner did get red hot until I turned down the heat.

I guess I will have to see if I can regulate the temps when I go to cook on it.

Wayne

Back