Taking the MBQI class…

Andy K

TVWBB Member
Official BBQ Judge Class (KCBS standard) offered at MBQI(?)…

Hi All- I'm really getting into the BBQ/Smoke world of cooking and just signed up for the MBQI class at the end of March in Overland Park. Question is, what should I expect to get out of the class? I suspect it's what you put into it, but how much knowledge does a person normally have going into this type of class?

Once one becomes a judge- how do you get involved in the judging process for events?

Thanks!

Last edited:
From their website, it appears all of the classes are cooking classes not judging classes. If you are looking to become a judge, you must first decide which of the multiple bbq sanctioning bodies to align with. Then you take their certified bbq judge class.

Bob- Thanks! Your point really helps though I believe the website you refer to is the MBQI website and not the KCBS. It's a little confusing since KCBS has the MBQI link to the judging class on the KCBS website promoting MBQI's class as an official judging class. Here's the link from the KCBS website below promoting the MBQI course
http://www.kcbs.us/classes.php?type=j&year=2014&month=0&id=4972&db=k

If MBQI's class is not an official judging class- the KCBS shouldn't endorse it on KCBS's own website… makes a person think they are taking a class that will certify them in the KCBS judging standard.

Nonetheless, I'll still take it- can't hurt!

Last edited:
Hi Andy,

Ahhh... You are correct. I was looking at the MBQI website and did see a whole lot of interesting cooking classes but not a single judging class. Probably just missed it ;) From the KCBS website, that class you linked is indeed the KCBS Certified BBQ Judging class ! Upon finishing the class, you will have your KCBS BBQ Judge Certification.

As far as locating events, KCBS does list all events nationwide. Just use the filters to find them in the area you are looking for.

btw, the class is whole lot of fun. And you get to eat the products, both good and bad. ;)

Just judged this event today. Had a great time.

Last edited:
Bob- thanks for helping me clarify the class- I hate to pay the money and it just be a cooking class. Although, you're right, some of the other classes look pretty good too! I figure since I'm out here in the KC area for another few months, I might as well take advantage of what there is to do. Esp since this the type of class that's not offered everywhere, though they do have a lot of places to take it. I always wanted to judge BBQ and see what it all entails. I went to an event here in KC back in the fall- some sort of national event, and that's where I realized these BBQ competitions seem like a lot of fun to get involved with but wasn't sure how to go about it. Not the same as a BBQ exhibition where the people showcase there food for money. Once I get the class I figure I'll look for small events to get experience and go from there. Plus, I hope that knowing the judging standards will help to make me a better cook, even though I don't see competing anytime zoo. I need to work on the BBQ pit skills a bit more before I go "primetime"!

That event you just did sounded like fun! Didn't realize there was much money at stake in these things.

Thanks again for helping to clarify the class! I'm looking forward to it!

Last edited:
Andy...

Our very own JerryA took GC at this comp !

Prize money... It only get larger <g>
One comp late last year the GC took home 50k in the form of a new vehicle !

During your class, you learn that in your quest for the Master Certification, you will need to cook with a team.

You are most welcome ! While we generally say, "You'll love your new WSM", same is true for the CBJ... You'll love it !

Wishing you the very best and Excellence in BBQ.

Back