HM 4.1 assembled and running...2 small issues. Down to one issue.

Aaron J

No blue smoke! That's a great start. It appears to work just fine with 2 minor issues. First, I have no WiFi. Is it safe to assume that if the OS doesn't find the dongle it doesn't show the WiFi tab in the web interface? I'm using a Ralink RT5370 chipset dongle that I had on hand. It does not appear to initialize. The other small issue is my ambient temp thermistor (probe 3) is showing 250 degrees. Ok, scratch the last one.....read the FAQ and answered my own question.

So, I guess it boils down to WiFi dongle compatibility. If it's easier, I'll just buy the specified one....

Thanks for all the hard work that went in (and keeps going in) to this project. It's given me a reason to start exploring electronics again. This time my 10 year old son is working with me. It's a great thing for both of us.

It doesn't look like OpenWrt has support for the RT5370. You'll need a wifi adapter with a RTL8192CU chipset.

Yeah OpenWrt actually doesn't support any USB wifi adapters that I know of (their focus is on integrated wifi chips). I added support for the 8192cu driver because it seemed to be the most popular for the Pi at the time, and at $10/ea I figured I'd be hard pressed to find a cheaper wifi solution. You'll have to use an adapter that uses the 8192cu chipset like the Edimax EW-7811Un.

That Ralink RT5370 chipset is showing up in a lot of rPi bundles these days and they look to be a couple of dollars cheaper, which is why they're being used.

Wow cheaper than $10? I guess they are. Man that's just crazy. Looks like OpenWrt has a package for the rt2800 which supports that chip but I doubt it will work with the HeaterMeter firmware because they use that ridonkulous compat-wireless package that ironically breaks wireless compatibility with real nl80211 drivers. You can try it though though you'll need to force install it because the kernel hash doesn't match:

http://downloads.openwrt.org/attitude_adjustment/12.09/brcm2708/generic/packages/

Back