Inexpensive temp controller

Very cool looking, i emailed them saying the link to the user manual didnt work. I'd like to learn/read more about it. Looking forward to your testing results Joe!

Very cool looking, i emailed them saying the link to the user manual didnt work. I'd like to learn/read more about it. Looking forward to your testing results Joe!

Not sure why. That's the email I used.

They said they did a 5 hour rib cook on 25 briquettes using this device. That seems like really good efficiency.

I used on my ceramic and I opened my bottom vent until I hit around 250. Closed off bottom vent to the width of nickel and opened put the tip top controller on and ran about 300 for like 3 hours or something, I can't remember. Hopefully I'll see how the weber does this weekend.

I don't see how it is 'heat sensitive'. How does the damper work? It just seems like a numbered dial on a rod.

I'm thinking something to with the spring loaded vent. I asked about the dial numbers and the temps by the position of pics I sent him. Here was his reply.

"Here is my easiest answer. forget the numbers they are just there as a reference. The damper moves a degree angular for every 1+ degree C (or F) that the temperature changes. So if the damper is set at 90 degrees on your kitchen counter, it will take about 130 degrees more heat to close the damper completely and cool the grill. If you want 200 degree grill- start with the damper about 90, if you want it about 220 start it at about 110degree angular. There is a 15 degree temp swing and a several minute delay as the coals and device work against each other.
I have had it as low as about 175 and holding and as high as 250 and holding. But at high heat the device is pointless unless you like leather.

Also remember that the damper moves INDEPENDENT of the knob, so if you turn it to a number after it is warm, that is not the same value as room temp.

From your pics, 1 is closed of course, 2 would be about 180-190, 3 about 220-230 and 4 maybe 250.

Depends on the ambient temp when they are set, and everything relies on a good air seal.

Interesting for sure, but don't understand the instructions of closing all the other vents. I would think that the coals will need some air coming in from the bottom to stay lit. As there will not be any air coming in the top with the heat escaping there.

Interesting for sure, but don't understand the instructions of closing all the other vents. I would think that the coals will need some air coming in from the bottom to stay lit. As there will not be any air coming in the top with the heat escaping there.

I agree. Here was an email from a representative from Maverick Industries.
"I tested the TTT a while ago on some ribs. See images. Works great provided you only light a few lumps or briquets of charcoal and let the TTT bring it to temp. Crack the bottom vent slightly and keep the weber top vent open all the way".

I agree. Here was an email from a representative from Maverick Industries.
"I tested the TTT a while ago on some ribs. See images. Works great provided you only light a few lumps or briquets of charcoal and let the TTT bring it to temp. Crack the bottom vent slightly and keep the weber top vent open all the way".

Well that makes sense then Joe, I look forward to your results with the Weber.

I used the controller today. I was sitting at 200 food grate temp for like an hour (220 dome) so I turned the knob to see how it would react. It's been about 230 food grate temp for the last hour (250 dome).

I have the bottom vent barely cracked even though the instructions say to close it off.

Food was taken off but I let run to see how long my 30 coals will last and to see how much the temp moves. It is a little cold and a little windy in Pa today. If I get 3 hours out that setup in this weather I don't think that's to bad.

Next time I may light more coals and see if I can get it stabilize at higher temp. I like cooking hotter than 230 at food grate.

I got about 2hr 45min from those 30 coals.

I did use charcoal I never used before. It was Giant Eagle store brand. With the cold and wind and not knowing how these coals usually burn I'm not sure if that's good or not.

@Joe S. After having it for more than a year are you still using the TTT? What do you think about it now? :redmastertouch:

Last edited:
This thread, however interesting, does not give much real information. From initial reading of the included instructions, it's pretty clear one needs to take into account ambient temperature and the desired working heat. i will run a first fire this week, with any luck.

Last edited:
Sorry just seeing this, I know it's old. I didn't to use it a ton. That New yrs eve I ended up having a house fire and lost just about everything. I never purchased another one.
It did work good the few times I used it.

I don't see how it is 'heat sensitive'. How does the damper work? It just seems like a numbered dial on a rod.
I know this is an old thread....

The way the damper works is simple.....bi-metal spring.
Old technology....automatic choke valves on carburetors were controlled by a similar spring.
The damper (butterfly) is set to open or close as the temperature at the spring changes.

I just bought one of these and they work.

Well, I tried it once and it performed fairly well. I think it will take a little time to completely gain absolute control but, the concept is pretty straightforward. You need to make a computation about the difference from ambient temp, set the deflection angle (using the guide) and, that's pretty much it. The thing is really so simple it's pretty nifty.

OK! Tried it a second time on a butt and it worked quite well to be honest. The third time it held 250 for a solid six+ hours with 35 briquettes. The end product wasn't earth shattering but, every one needs a failure now and then to keep things in perspective. This was mine.
I honestly think using a snake method might just get twelve hours easily.
The thing is pretty cool!
I am waiting to hear some report from TonyUK when he gets dialed in! Should be there next week with any luck in shipping!

This thread, however interesting, does not give much real information. From initial reading of the included instructions, it's pretty clear one needs to take into account ambient temperature and the desired working heat. i will run a first fire this week, with any luck.
I have one and it does work.
I would advise not over-thinking it and set it at 3 or 4 on the dial once you are near target temp.
Then fine tune it to target temp and your conditions.

A typical set-up for me...
My bottom damper(s) are probably 1/8 open, the TTT is open about 1/8"-3/16" open and my kettle is 250°F (Weber baskets, 8 briqs each started and burning from opposite ends)

If you like a clean kettle the TTT will smoke-stain your top damper.

More specs on the third cook
Outdoor temp-78 degrees
Deflection angle on the TTT-3
Held 250 for 6+ hours
Approximately 35-38 briquettes

Back