Cedar planked salmon

Cody

TVWBB Fan
Made an easy marinade last night of rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, pepper, ground ginger and garlic. Let the salmon marinade about 45 minutes. This was done on the gasser though I think next time I'll do it on the charcoal grill.

Here's your plate with rice and salad with oranges and wasabi ginger dressing.

Cedar Planked Salmon is one of my favorite dishes. Our "local" Costco has excellent fresh salmon both wild and farm raised as well as excellent steelhead.

Your dish looks like a HOME RUN! Good work, Cody!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

I'll be smoking a farm raised salmon on Sunday. Wife thought it was wild and grabbed it at Costco. These one's were frozen but wild and it was easy plus was a healthy and tasted pretty good.

I just bought some Brinkmann cedar planks at Home Depot the other day. But I'm learning that despite soaking them in water overnight before a grill, that they are designed for one time use only. Has anyone had any experience using the Brinkmann brands? I'm assuming that you're supposed to leave them in indirect heat, and that you can maybe use them 4-5x until they are fully charred.

Well...I never cooked on planks(beside a plank steak) But with the old plank steaks around here they use each plank for 50+ cooks. Always indirect. Direct will eat you plank up fast...But that will give it flavour. Depends on thinkness and what not. Try it out and report back.

I can use the commercial cedar planks several times before they are finished (then just use the scraps as smoke wood). I use my OTG grill, grill direct over medium heat (in my 22.5" OTG I dump one chimney of lit and spread it evenly over the charcoal grate). I preheat the soaked plank two-three minutes (by the clock) on the fish side, then flip the plank and let it heat until it starts smoking. I then put the fish on. It'll take 15-20 minutes until the fish can be flaked then it is done. Some compound butter (a pat per piece) with the heat of the filet melting it makes a great finishing sauce.

My son goes to the lumber yard (or Home Depot or Lowes) buys an untreated cedar plank and cuts it into several lengths. These planks are MUCH thicker and will last much longer (can do at least twice as many times). These planks are nominally 1" thick (really about 3/4") whereas the commercial grilling planks are only about 3/8" thick. Plus, the lumber mill boards are often MUCH less expensive. You do have to have a saw, tho' (or have the lumberyard cut them to length).

If you wait until after the grilling season starts, Costco puts the remainders on sale and you can buy a package of planks for about a third of the price. That's when I stock up.

Keep on smokin',

I can use the commercial cedar planks several times before they are finished (then just use the scraps as smoke wood). I use my OTG grill, grill direct over medium heat (in my 22.5" OTG I dump one chimney of lit and spread it evenly over the charcoal grate). I preheat the soaked plank two-three minutes (by the clock) on the fish side, then flip the plank and let it heat until it starts smoking. I then put the fish on. It'll take 15-20 minutes until the fish can be flaked then it is done. Some compound butter (a pat per piece) with the heat of the filet melting it makes a great finishing sauce.

My son goes to the lumber yard (or Home Depot or Lowes) buys an untreated cedar plank and cuts it into several lengths. These planks are MUCH thicker and will last much longer (can do at least twice as many times). These planks are nominally 1" thick (really about 3/4") whereas the commercial grilling planks are only about 3/8" thick. Plus, the lumber mill boards are often MUCH less expensive. You do have to have a saw, tho' (or have the lumberyard cut them to length).

If you wait until after the grilling season starts, Costco puts the remainders on sale and you can buy a package of planks for about a third of the price. That's when I stock up.

Keep on smokin',

I basically do it the same way. Use weber's planks (basically the only way to get cedar here). It so juicy and tasty

Yeah and don't forget to have a spray bottle of water handy for when the plank might happen to catch fire, it's usually very small if the plank catches alight so a quick little spray of water will dous the flame.

One thing to keep in mind. You WANT the plank to smoke. Too little smoke, turn up the heat. Too much smoke and you may catch the plank on fire. I use the bottom vents on the OTG and Performer to keep the temp under control. If you are using gas, just turn down the burners (or up, depending...). Also, the more it smokes, the less the plank life. EVERYTHING is a compromise:rolleyes:...

Keep on smokin',

Back