Hey-Hey-Hanger Steak

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I hate to jump over Don's "Avocado & Onion Cheese Burgers and "Bloomin' Onion" Onion Rings" post...
GeeWiz Don, sorry buddy...
Keep this one short...
Bought up some Hanger from Sendik's Market.
Marinated in Stubb's beef marinade for a few hours and half sliced some Golden Yukons and a Poblano and grilled em all up... only a few minutes a side... toss n' turn and they're all done.
After a cocktail, Liz and I did eet cauliflower with everything else...and it was all veryvery tasty!
LOVE the hanger!
icon_biggrin.gif

icon_smile.gif
Thank you for viewing!

Looks wonderful Jim and thanks for sharing.

I will have to give the Hanger a try
icon_wink.gif

Now I'm hungry again
icon_biggrin.gif

Dag gone, Jim. Mighty fine meal!!! If your going to post something that looks that good, jump over my posts any day!!

Been a while since we've had a hanger...Going to have to remedy that!!

Jim,

Those steaks look fantastic. Hangers are becoming my favorite steaks. I cannot find them anywhere but Sendik's, where they offer them at a reasonable price. We are lucky to have the world's best local grocery chain.

Jim

Nice, Jim. I haven't tried the hanger yet, but it's on the list. I took your advice and picked up Stubb's beef marinade (in anticipation of beef ribs), but will use it tomorrow for a grilled sirloin (if the rain ever lets up).

Thanks guys!
Gary, I think you'll like Stubb's marinade and the flavours it gives the beef. In fact, it's on these hangers
icon_biggrin.gif
first time I've used it other than beef ribs.
And you're right Jim, Sendik's offers meat I haven't seen at butcher shops. Seen skirts at Ray's in Greenfield butt no hanger.

Jim, do you trim up the hangers? I work mine over pretty good before cooking and was wondering what stradegies other's have.

Nope Jeff, just the way i gettem from the butcher... Saturday night, I added beef marinade by Stubb's.

To expand on Jim's comment, the butcher that we buy these from splits the hanger and removes the gristly portion that runs down the center. What Jim's photos show is how they are trimmed by the butcher.

thanks guys. it looks like he may butterfly them too. mine come out more cylindrical.

I buy hangars in two packs at restaurant depot. Each one has the connective tissue seam, as well as a membrane around it, some silver skin, and some loose fat. The two take a bit of work to get them cleaned up into four nice pieces, but since they start out under 2 bucks a pound, I can accept some waste.

I think I paid $5.99/pound last time I bought hangers. Two bucks is ridiculous.

On the other hand, our butcher is making a nice profit by doing all that knife work. Something that most people would not attempt to try.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Two bucks is ridiculous. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

just the other day, I cooked hangers for my wife's side of the family for my bro-in-law's b-day. My mom-in-law wanted to help me defray some of the cost of the dinner, and she particularly loves hangers since I started cooking them. I told her to keep her money as steak for 8 cost me $10. She had a funny reaction, something along the lines of "how could this be so cheap and so good?"

If anyone in Milwaukee wasnt to try a great version of this at a restaurant head over to Bartolotta's Lake Park Bistro. You can even sit at the bar and have a glass of some nice wine and the Pomme Frittes made ith a nice Hangar steak. Be sure to ask for both sauces as they have a blue cheese sauce as well as a red wine reduction sauce. And the Aoli they serve the fries with is amazing!!!

Good looking meal. I have to try hangars sometime soon. It's a cut we don't see here. My butcher is going to look at me funny again.

Back