bbq guru question

Scooter

Hello everyone. I just go my new digiq a few days ago and was wondering how you all run your top vent? Open / Closed / 50%??

I run fully open on all my WSMs using my Guru and my Stoker. The only time I usually have to mess with the top vent is if it's hot outside and the smoker is sitting in the sun and I get spikes in temp. If that happens, I will close the top vent to 50% or more to regulate temp.

The other two vents without the blower should be fully closed. The Stoker/Guru should provide all the air that you need to maintain temp.

The other two vents without the blower should be fully closed. The Stoker/Guru should provide all the air that you need to maintain temp.
Yeah I keep the other two on the bottom closed. I was just wondering what position you run the vent the guru is in. I've been leaving it halfway at most with top 30% at most. Just trying to get some other ideas.

Running top vent wide open . Bottom vents closed except wide open where digi q is connected. I have adjusted the fan damper on 10cfm fan. Full open for higher heat cooks. 30 percent closed for 225degree cooks on wsm.
Scott

Yeah I keep the other two on the bottom closed. I was just wondering what position you run the vent the guru is in. I've been leaving it halfway at most with top 30% at most. Just trying to get some other ideas.

I run the Guru about halfway open.

I run top vent open all the way... And leave the guru open 100% haven't had any issues but I've only used it in 50 degree weather and below..

Everyone has his/her own techniques. When using my Guru, I open the top vent 1/2 to 3/4 open to allow smoke to escape freely. I found by closing it down too tightly, the foods get too much smoke and a bitter kind of cresote or oversmoked flavor.

Back