Rotisserie Cornell Chicken

James Lake

TVWBB Emerald Member
I got my rotisserie on Friday and broke it in on Sunday. I followed this Cornell recipe and instead of butterflying the chicken I left them whole and cooked them on the rotisserie.

I trussed the chicken and brined them for 4 hours, please keep in mind this is the first time I trussed anything.

Applied the rub and they went butt-to-butt on the roti:

017_zps22f29adc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I ran the Performer at 400 degrees and basted with Cornell sauce every 10 minutes, I also threw in some mesquite for a little smoke.

20 minutes into the cook, second basting:

021_zpsaf1b4d80.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

023_zpscf477f41.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Shortly over an hour the birds are done and ready to rest:

025_zps7e79dd54.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Rested and ready for carving:

IMAG0993_zpsj6b8co0t.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Plated with rice with cilantro in it, garlic toast and a stout beer.

IMAG0998_zpspbir9ylw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMAG0997_zpsk9mjo6g7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The chicken was very moist and flavorful and a big hit with the lady of the house.

Thanks for looking and thank you all for your inspiration and pushing me to cook better.

Great job trussing the chickens looks like everything held together. Chickens have a nice color to them I can only imagine what they tasted like.

Great cook! I love the flavors of that Cornell recipe.
I do not own a roto yet...... do you feel its worth the investment??? What cooks have been done other than birds?

Great cook! I love the flavors of that Cornell recipe.
I do not own a roto yet...... do you feel its worth the investment??? What cooks have been done other than birds?

This was my first cook on the roti and while it was an investment that I saved up for I feel that it will be well worth it. I have never cooked chicken this fast, just a little over an hour and there is the basting with no cleaning of the grates. I see myself using the roti at least 3-4 times a month and maybe more. Do I have any regrets??? None.

Back