Willy's Shanks

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I Need To Share This Recipe - Willy's Shanks

So you fellows know I did a smoked Beef Hind Shank smoke a few weeks back. It was excellent but now I have perfected this and it is extraordinary.
It was me and #2 home alone, the CEO away on business and I decided to smoke the Hind Shanks I had defrosting in the fridge. Well we got socked yesterday and the winds today were gusting in the 20-30's and blowing snow everywhere so I asked myself what would Jac do?
DSC_1566_zps9bf321fe.jpg

Red Onions, garlic, Crimini Mushrooms, EVOO, Potatoes, and Chef Merito
DSC_1568_zpsf1f981de.jpg

Bone in (very important) Beef Hind Shanks seasoned well with Chef Merito sitting in the fridge for about an hour, ready to go
DSC_1572_zpsfcb54972.jpg

Garlic and onion in the pot with EVOO getting jiggy, then the meat in one at a time getting browned and then pulled. Then the pot deglazed with a good red wine.
DSC_1570_zpseda75bcc.jpg

Browned shanks hit with Chef Merito again
DSC_1572_zpsfcb54972.jpg

Yukons, carrots, shrooms and the meat back in the pot with beef broth and some water, Crushed red pepper, fresh chopped sage, Kosher and Fresh Ground.
DSC_1574_zpsff7fcf8e.jpg

Almost four hours simmering in Le Crosset
DSC_1576_zpsefa1396e.jpg

On the table, meat pulled and cut on a cutting board and back in the broth. A good French Bread a a nice wine.
Big delicious addition is the bones with Marrow which is fabulous.
DSC_1580_zpsa207766e.jpg

A really good Merlot for you to try, excellent
DSC_1584_zpse3dfcbcd.jpg

One of the most delicious meals I have ever had, #2 said Dad, you have to make this for Mom

Edit / Delete

Last edited:

Back