Separating Yolks from Egg Whites

Plastic bottles are difficult to clean, not to mention store. You might try THIS EGG SEPARATOR. It comes apart for cleaning and works very well. It will hold several yolks before you have to pop them out. It makes preparing a Hollandiase quick and easy and the whites can be added to whole eggs or used as is for an omelet or used for meringues or egg washes.

Rita, with the usual disclaimer

Last edited:
I just use the eggshell itself. Just crack egg GENTLY in the middle and pour the egg back and forth a couple times. Have a bowl under egg and whites will fall in that..another separate bowl for Yolks

Yes Roger, your eggshell method is a tried- and- true-way to separate eggs that I've used successfully for years when separating eggs, except when I've gotten a little of the yolk into the whites with bad results. Generations have done the same...until the time that I needed more yolks than whites for a number of recipes (or vice versa).

The yolk "sucker" is more efficient, more fun, and it usually aids in the removal of the chalise in the whites as well, which one might find helpful, not to mention that it is quicker. Depends on how many eggs you generally separate. If one separates eggs only occasionally, it might not be economical but it still might be fun for gadget lovers. As you mentioned, egg shells are handy for fishing out bits of stray egg yolk that were inadvertently broken into the whites, but if one needs to beat only the whites it might be tricky to occasionally completely fish out all of the yolk to successfully beat the whites into an egg white foam. No need for that concern when using this gadget. It is definitely not a gadget that everyone would use as much as I do, but some might be interested.

Roger, I'm glad to have your approach to egg separation and many others will be grateful for your method. Thank you for posting it. This little gadget has surfaced in my email in the last few days. Hopefully I've put a few pros and cons out there for consideration. I hope I don't sound argumentative or confrontational and just hope to put different views on it.

Rita

Last edited:
Plastic bottles are difficult to clean, not to mention store.
Rita, with the usual disclaimer

not to be argumentative , but wouldn't you use a water bottle and just rinse and recycle it when you're done ? What cleaning and storing ?
Frank , with the same disclaimer. ;)

Frank, good try. :) But when you need to separate eggs, would you drain a full bottle of water just to get the bottle, drink it all even though you might not be thirsty, or would you clean and store an empty one for ready use?

I had to buy a water bottle when I first tried the method and couldn't find a small one except in a 12-pack. We have pretty good water here so don't feel need to buy water bottles (there's the landfill thing after all - not everyone has recycle services), so I would have had to clean and store the one I bought. The little egg sucker gadget takes up much less space and is dishwasher cleanable - no bottle brush needed. I separate eggs fairly often, so it's efficient for me; maybe not so much for others. Hmmm, I wonder if it would double as a bulb baster. Probably not. Your mileage might vary, as they say. :)

Rita

Last edited:
That's a great idea. Definitely something we will be doing.
Thanks for posting.

I will save a few used bottles just for this. Then recycle after use.

Here in California in Southern California we recycle everything. There's a bin for recyclables,grass(greens) ,general trash.

I just use my left hand (after washing of course). Just crack the egg into your cupped fingers and allow the egg white to run through your fingers into a bowl while keeping the yolk in your hand. If I am doing a lot of eggs, I use a catch bowl and transfer the whites to a reservoir bowl after separating (in case I have an egg yolk break on me and get into the egg white bowl).

Regards,

John

Back