TVWBB social events for 2014

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I got a PM from a few days ago from George Roth, a TVWBB member from The Badger State. He said he wanted to talk to me on the phone, that he had some ideas for TVWBB. We spoke for a little more than an hour, and among the wide variety of things we discussed, the topic that stood out for me the most is the idea of social gatherings in 2014.

George was suggesting that when people go to competitive barbecue events, whether as spectators or as competitors, that TVWBB members try to get together to say hello, put a face with the name they see online, etc. We also discussed backyard gatherings (didn't Jim Lampe offer up his P1gvilion for Smoke Day or GrillFest a while back?) and barbecue crawls in KC coinciding with the American Royal.

I can imagine someone saying, "I'll be going to the American Royal. Anyone else going? Want to meet at the flag poles in front of Kemper Arena at 5pm?"

I'm going to the Harry Soo class on February 15, and that's an opportunity for NorCal folks that want to take Harry's class to meet me and perhaps other TVWBB members in attendance.

I hope to go to the Jack in October, and that would be an opportunity for TVWBB folks to have a get-together.

So...just wanted to throw this out there to members. Does any of this sound interesting? Does anyone want to organize anything for 2014? What are your ideas?

I think it's a fantastic idea. I would love to drive the RV to the Mid West and South East to socialize with other folks. I would be willing to go to Memphis, Nashville, Knoxville, Chattanooga, Mobile, Montgomery, Atlanta, etc. ...possibly even as far as St Louis.

I am only ~ an hour from Lynchburg TN so would definitely love to meet folks at the picture spot in front of the Jack Daniels Smoker by the judges pavilion. Anyone with an RV heading to the Jack can set up at my place if you want. If you don't have an RV and need a place to stay I have an RV, a guest room, a couch, and a floor -- first come first serve -- no charge for TVWBB members.

I'm all for it, we should plan some regional gatherings for this summer, I know theres quite a few Minnesota guys here, would be really fun to meet up on a weekend!

Anyone with an RV heading to the Jack can set up at my place if you want.
Be careful with what you're offering Dwain!:p
Cousin-Eddie-Beer.jpg

Seriously, that is very generous of you!

Maybe Smoke Day and Grillfest could be set up in regions where members cook together, it would have to be fun.

In the early years of Smoke Day, I think a few folks got together in someone's backyard to celebrate together. We can definitely promote this more in 2014.

I would be interested and will to travel a short distance to meet and cook with other members. I recall that Chris told us how to do a search for local member, but I forgot how that was done.

I would be interested and will to travel a short distance to meet and cook with other members. I recall that Chris told us how to do a search for local member, but I forgot how that was done.
Click "Community" at the top of any page, then "Member List".
On the right side of the page, click "Search Member" and choose "Advanced Search".
In the Location field, enter a state name or a city name. Since people list their states in all different ways, you may need to try separate searches for OR and Oregon.

I would love to do this and would be willing to go anywhere in south east Texas and south Louisiana.

A winemaking site I'm a member of has a forum called "winemaking meet ups and events". Members post info about competitions, seminars, etc they will be attending, as well as invites to their homes, etc. Maybe you could set up a similar folder here?

I don't have much of a back yard,but I'd be okay with some of Charlotte's other backyard q-ers coming over for SD or GF.

Phil, you probably have more back yard than me, I have a small patch of grass maybe 12X6 then it's all down hill into the woods, the garage also takes up a nice chunk as well as the porch.

Back