USDA Prime Ribeyes Taste Test

Jak Stepan

TVWBB Pro
I do these "taste tests" all the time... several steaks cut from the same primal and seasoned differently. Or several different brands of the same steak that are seasoned exactly the same. I do this to discover not only what we like but also to reveal the subtle differences in the brands of beef (ie black angus, hereford, usda prime, usda choice and high choice, chairmans reserve, grass fed, grain fed, etc. and yes they all taste a little different) or in some of the otc spice mixes. my wife loves these taste tests and of course loves being the assistant taster, and my kids think its pretty annoying but they hate to love it (and once they start tasting the whining and complaining stops ironically). but the next bbq after I do a taste test, I always go back to usda prime and use just a little salt and pepper - this will always be my standard and also my favorite way to season and bbq good quality beef.

did a direct sear on these usda prime boneless ribeyes (gorgeous marbling on these!) for about 3 minutes on each side, then rotated the grill off the fire for indirect for about 16 minutes. used pecan chips for the direct sear and pecan chunks for indirect finish cook. the sausage is a bonus pic of son's deer from last year we are trying to eat up.

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

these next three are the three different steaks...

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

and once again I forgot to get pics of the insides of those steaks. yall when Im done bbq'g its hard enough to get some pics before I start eating... and once I cut into a steak I tend to lose focus on everything else around and become a thirsty carnivore.

don't lift the lid...

did a direct sear on these usda prime boneless ribeyes (gorgeous marbling on these!) for about 3 minutes on each side, then rotated the grill off the fire for indirect for about 16 minutes.
don't lift the lid...

Nice Job on those steaks. I have a quick question. When they are over indirect heat for the 16 minutes - do you turn them over at all? Or just leave them on one side? Thanks in advance.

What doness did you end up with? I like mid rare but that sounds like you could over shoot that with that long of a cook, maybe I'm doing something different, because those look perfect.

Nice Job on those steaks. I have a quick question. When they are over indirect heat for the 16 minutes - do you turn them over at all? Or just leave them on one side? Thanks in advance.

I will answer for myself, I leave them on one side. I like to think the hot air is circulating around the steaks and cooking it evenly in all directions. I'm no scientist.

Jak, I like where your heads at man. I do this with beers I like and do it blind. Never really had the inkling to try it with food.

They look real good Jak, I know you enjoyed yourself with that.

For the above question, I know on my two charcoal grills one rectangular and the OTG you still need to rotate them at least once while indirect unless you have a very small area holding coals. The underside is hotter for me even indirect

Simpson & Andres. I'm a very low and slow bbq guy w little or no intervention usually. I did a direct sear on this one because I wanted a little crust since I used OTC seasoning mixes. Exactly andres, the circulating hot air cooks the meat evenly from all sides.

Steve. I prefer medium rare to medium and I've learned these times for 1 inch steaks over many many steaks. Second- indirect is much more forgiving with respect to cook times and doneness.

Thanks for all the good words hall.

Next time you do a taste test of PRIME rib eyes you should have me over because I'm an expert at tasting. If you don't believe me just ask me. hahaha

Back