Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Knife sharpener

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by D Larsen View Post
    Had a lot of stuff interfere with my first trial with the Ken Onion...so STILL haven't tried it !!! Sorry...

My bad...just want to be sure it has my undivided attention !

Will report back with my early attempts with my old, dull clever...my selection for my first attempt !!!

Dean...
    Been ANOTHER LONG time since I was here !!!

Anyway....the Work Sharp Ken Onion is CRAZY cool !!! Wife tried to cut off her finger, even after I warned her about the knives I sharpened...no stitches required, though...

Love it !!! Highly recommended !!!

Dean...
    Weber kettle; WSM; Smokey Joe; Stok gasser (for those quick burger nights <g> ) !

That Ken Onion sharpener looks interesting.

I got a Chef's Choice VX a couple weeks ago, I only sharpened one knife with it so far, & I'm as happy with the edge as when I sent it in to be sharpened. I cubed / trimmed two 3.5# bone-in pork roasts yesterday & was very happy with the performance - I can't remember any knife cutting so easily.

https://youtu.be/T4rWCS4z4wk

You might want to watch this prior to dropping coin on one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3H-TwdUJJ8
    His language is a little "rough" but the guy knows his "stuff"

TVWBB Super Fan
    <shrug> Like anything else, Edgecraft/Chef's Choice does have a few different models.

Having said that, I have both a 20 year old Chef's Choice (that doesn't sharpen all the way to the heel,) and a Work Sharp. I haven't used the CC almost since I bought it, the Work Sharp does get used, and puts one heck of an edge on things (even vegetable peelers.)

Quote Originally Posted by LMichaels View Post
    You might want to watch this prior to dropping coin on one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3H-TwdUJJ8
    His language is a little "rough" but the guy knows his "stuff"
    I've seen that guys reviews before - last year when I was doing some home/shop modifications & replacing my roof I watched him tear down the skilsaw wormdrive framing saws.

The model in that review is different though, pretty sure this one has spinning discs, not vibrating stones.

https://youtu.be/W4SitQ0cknc

I hope it lasts - with as little as I plan use it, I'm hoping to get years of trouble-free use. It's also limited to 15 degrees, not 15 or 20, so I hope that works out.

edit::: this sharpener appears to have the reciprocating stones. I've been happily surprised to see how well my knife is holding its edge.
    Last edited by Clint; 04-02-2018 at 07:23 PM.

If she came with the sharpener I'd buy it

TVWBB Pro
    Haha. Yeah he has a mouth. Nothing that bothers me though. He was pretty knowledgeable.
    Light a man a fire, keep him warm for a day. Light a man afire, keep him warm the rest of his life.

TVWBB Pro
    I bought a rather expensive Chef's Choice sharpener years ago. As much as I wanted to like it, I could never get an edge I thought properly sharp on any knife I used on it. That experience convinced me that manual labor was the only way to go if you really care about having very sharp knives. I'd love to get one of the fancy bench top systems, like that Russian one, but I just couldn't justify the expense unless I was going into the knife sharpening business.

Fairly recently I bought a ceramic "steel" that I like quite a lot. I also discovered through use that I had been using too shallow an angle of attack on the steel. When I increased the angle and used a very light touch my results were excellent. Used to be I was sharpening my kitchen knives every couple months. With this ceramic "steel" I think it will be more like once a year.

Once a year.........................than you don't use your knives enough :0 I steel mine just about every time I take them out of the holder

TVWBB Emerald Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    I just buy cheaper knives and run an accu-sharp over them every once in a while like a complete barbarian.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast