Throwdown #18: Beef Chuck Roast

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to extend another congrats to Dwain Pannell for winning Throwdown #17 Pork Tenderloin back in December in convincing fashion. As winner, he gets to pick the next throwdown ingredient, and he's decided on...

BEEF CHUCK ROAST!

As Dwain says, "It's an inexpensive, tough cut perfect for "low & slow" BBQ. When the proper technique is applied, chuck roast can become a succulent, mouth watering work of culinary art such as Stracotto, Carne Guisada, Beef Daube Provençal, Beef Bourguignon, Sauerbraten, Pepper Stout Beef, a Classic Yankee Pot Roast , Brunswick Stew, Texas Chili, Pulled Beef BBQ, etc."

The possibilities are almost endless! Just make sure to use a beef roast with "chuck" in the name, for example: chuck arm pot roast, chuck shoulder pot roast, chuck 7-bone roast. NOT a rib roast, a tenderloin roast, a sirloin roast (e.g. tri-tip), or a round roast.

Let's run this throwdown until Sunday, February 9 at 11:59 PM Pacific Time.

Good luck!

P.S. Remember, don't be intimidated! This isn't a barbecue competition, it's just for fun and friendship! Try it, you'll like it! And make sure to see the simple throwdown rules.

P.S.S. Remember, only 10 photos for each entry! Photo collages (multiple photos grouped into a single file) are OK, but each photo in the collage counts towards the 10 photo limit.

I
P.S.S. Remember, only 10 photos for each entry! Photo collages (multiple photos grouped into a single file) are OK, but each photo in the collage counts towards the 10 photo limit.

Good morning Chris:p. Did not occur this problem already Throwdown # 16: Tri-Tip? Or am I wrong:confused:

Last edited:

... Throwdown # 16: Tri-Tip...

Ooops. Guilty as charged. It never crossed my mind that I exceed the rule. Mildo smoked me on that one so I hope no harm no foul. It won't happen again.

In an effort to decide on an ingredient for Throwdown #18, I researched past contests to see the entries, contestants, controversy, tie breakers, and excellent examples of cooking technique. There was plenty to go around. It was quite a good read though. In some contests it was difficult to tell who won since we've moved and some of the links to the Poll post are now broken.

Battle 1 -- the initial battle "Eggs" kicked off as a team event by J Biesinger way back in May 2011. It was judged by K Kruger, Jim Lampe, and JimK.

The other team events were:
Battle 2 -- Milk Chocolate
Battle 3 -- Tea

Then the era of the Throwdown -- our current contest format -- began in Nov 2011 with Throwdown #1: Flank Steak. (Jon Des was declared the winner.)

The winners (as far as I can tell) in other Throwdowns were:
Throwdown #2: Potatoes (Bill W. Michigan)
Throwdown #3: Poultry (Gary H NJ)
Throwdown #4: Burgers (Don Cash)
Throwdown #5: ABT's (Morgan C)
Throwdown #6: Fish (Scott M)

It was easier to determine the winners from this point forward due to the Poll system we now use in our new home at vBulletin.

Throwdown #7: Pizza/Flatbread (JimK)
Throwdown #8: Ground Stuff (RCBaughn)
Throwdown #9: Pork Loin (Kim Drana)
Throwdown #10: Mushrooms (Dwain Pannell)
Throwdown #11: Shellfish (Chad M)
Throwdown #12: Ribeye Steak (David)
Throwdown #13: Chicken Wings (Jim Lampe)
Throwdown #14: Carne Asada (Tony R)
Throwdown #15: Pork Spare Ribs (Steve Aguilar)
Throwdown #16: Tri-Tip (Mildo)
Throwdown #17: Pork Tenderloin (Dwain Pannell)

For Throwdown #18 I recommend Beef Chuck Roast.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
Ooops. Guilty as charged. It never crossed my mind that I exceed the rule. Mildo smoked me on that one so I hope no harm no foul. It won't happen again.
The 10 photo limit rules has been in place for quite some time, but the issue of bundling photos into collages was not brought to my attention until the end of the last throwdown. I suspect the use of collages was more about being artistic than about trying to skirt any rules, but just to be clear moving forward and to make sure we have a level playing field, I added the clarification.

I'd like to extend another congrats to Dwain Pannell for winning Throwdown #17 Pork Tenderloin back in December in convincing fashion. As winner, he gets to pick the next throwdown ingredient, and he's decided on...

BEEF CHUCK ROAST!

The possibilities are almost endless! Just make sure to use a beef roast with "chuck" in the name, for example: chuck arm pot roast, chuck shoulder pot roast, chuck 7-bone roast. NOT a rib roast, a tenderloin roast, a sirloin roast (e.g. tri-tip), or a round roast.

Would a shoulder clod roast count? It is in the "Chuck" section of the beef charts, but doesn't contain the name chuck.

Or maybe a better question would be, on the beef chart here would anything under the "Chuck" section AND a yellow (Braise) box count?

Thanks,
Brett

Would a shoulder clod roast count? It is in the "Chuck" section of the beef charts, but doesn't contain the name chuck.

Or maybe a better question would be, on the beef chart here would anything under the "Chuck" section AND a yellow (Braise) box count?

Thanks,
Brett

Brett, you're good to go on a shoulder clod. I'm doing a "pot roast" and that doesn't say "chuck", but we all know what that means.
http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatBeefChuck.html
Hope that helps, and good luck on you're throw-down dish.

Tim

My entry for Throwdown #18 Boeuf à la mode (Beef "in the style")

This was adapted from recipes found in The Editors at America's Test Kitchen (2012-10-12). The Science of Good Cooking: Master 50 Simple Concepts to Enjoy a Lifetime of Success in the Kitchen (Cook's Illustrated Cookbooks).

I patted a Beef Chuck Roast dry with paper towels and seasoned it with salt and let rest at room temperature while starting my fire and prepping my cook.

mise en place

Once I placed the lit on the unlit, I moved the grill over the fire and rendered the fat from three pieces of bacon chopped, set the bacon aside then browned the roast in the Dutch Oven. Once browned I set the roast aside and sautéed a mirepoix.

When the aromatics were browned. I removed them and added the wine to deglaze the fond from the bottom of the pan and added the garlic and a bouquet garni of parsley sprigs, thyme sprigs, and bay leaves.

Then I added the roast back into the pan surrounded by the mirepoix, bacon and some small potatoes. About an hour later, I flipped the roast and added some mushrooms then left it to the devices of a WSM with vents 100% open resulting in a ~ 300*F oven until tender.

Bon Appétit.

Last edited:
Iron Mikes Pot Roast Nachos for your consideration.:)
Recipe and flow is here.http://www.recipefy.com/en/ditka-s-pot-roast-nachos/recipes/4280
I made these before and changed it up for the T-down.
Started with a pot roast that was partially defrosted from the deep freezer.
20140112_092905+-+Copy.jpg

Rubbed with some Adobo, and some Cowboys rub which IMO is very good on beef.
20140112_092953+-+Copy.jpg

On the OTG indirect with my last pc of Red Oak.
20140112_111613+-+Copy.jpg
After a few hrs the color looked good and made a reduction of sauteed onions, carrots, garlic, and green pepper along with some red wine and a good dose of worshy sauce. Also instead of the brown sugar and maple syrup, I just used a good dose of Jim Beam maple bourbon, and a few sprigs of thyme from the garden.
20140112_125013.jpg

20140112_125121+-+Copy.jpg

Foiled it for about three hrs than shredded it.
20140112_155934.jpg

Made the Marsala sauce and let that reduce for a bit.Added the beef and the pot roast liquid which was defatted & reduced in half and pureed the vegs with a potato masher.
20140112_160623.jpg

Put it up in a CI skillet to toast on the OTG.d
20140112_171418+-+Copy.jpg

Also made some homemade pintos with a ham hock, sorta like Kevins Drunken Friojles, dished over some Boxed Goya yellow rice which I added a can of green chiles and topped with some Cojito, and Crema Mexicana.
20140112_171436+-+Copy.jpg

Tim

Last edited:
Game Day Fireside Ale Pulled Beef Sliders

Championship games and brew day all in one deserve a great tailgate meal. We chose pulled beef sliders to feed the small brew crew. I setup the kettle with a "C" config, snake, fuse ...whatever you wanna call it ...seasoned a chuck roast simply with Montreal Steak Seasoning and seared the roast direct. I used one chunk of mesquite for the smoke flavor.

Since it was a brew day and I tapped a brew pig, I added some Fireside Ale homebrew as my braise liquid.

I sealed it up tight for a nice ride home

My halfway mark is perfect for a 350*F cook

After 3 hours I twisted the meat with a fork and declared victory.

I served mine with chips and dip, pickled cucumbers and pickled okra, and topped with Sweet Baby Ray's.

Broncos are in - let's see what Left Coast team will join them.

Last edited:

Back