Transporting Q

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
Didn't know where to put this post but figured this is probably the closest forum.

I have frozen vac sealed bags of PP that I'm taking with me on an out of town business trip tomorrow (Friday) for a B-Day party Saturday night. I'll be driving 4 hours to my meeting, be in my meeting for two hours, then on to another meeting and not getting to a refrigerator until probably about 12 hours from when I put the PP in the ice chest. Think I'll be OK going 12 hours with a single block of ice in the ice chest? The bags are gallon bags about 2 inches thick.

Thanks for your input.

If it is a solid block of ice i would think you will be ok - cubed ice might melt a little quicker - how about dry ice? Look for a shady spot to park your car

my .2

The PP is already frozen. That's already a lot of cold. My vote is to use cubed filled to the top. This reduces the amount of air space and more cold. A block has the mass but can't mold around the PP and leaves more air space. Depending on the room or availability blocks then cubes to fill the rest of the space might be the best.

The other is quality of ice chest. I had a ice chest that I thought was good but ice melted twice as fast than others. So I got one of those Coleman Xtremes and am happy.

Russell, it's funny you post, I'm transporting the Q to Downey.

Cooler is a mid range cooler, PP will be frozen when placed in the cooler, I'm thinking of putting in a block of ice and then laying zip-lock bags of ice over the bags of PP.

I've heard good things about dry ice. My bro-in-law said they filled a cooler with it when the went camping. he said all their food, which wasnt frozen to start, was frozen by the time they got to where they were going. I'd say that's some good stuff.

I also had good luck with a styrofoam "cooler" from omaha steaks. I packed it with meat and ice and duct taped it closed. I had a 48 hr drive, yet the stuff stayed frozen. Outside temps weren't too warm though (40-50*).

I left town at 6:00 a.m. and figured I would find any dry ice at that hour so I threw the frozen PP in an ice chest, emptied the fridge's ice maker into the cooler and I was on my way. 13 hours later when I pulled the PP out of the cooler it was still frozen, soft not rock hard but still frozen. I figured I probably could have gone another 8 hours in the cooler. Thanks for all the input.

BTW, the PP was a HUGE hit!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">13 hours later when I pulled the PP out of the cooler it was still frozen, soft not rock hard but still frozen. I figured I probably could have gone another 8 hours in the cooler. Thanks for all the input. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What were ambient temps?

Bbq the best when you cook it, clean yourself up, get a good nights sleep, and simple reheat. Nice work Larry.

Larry,

You're in Downy, only 20 miles from my house, and you didn't invite me to sample your pulled pork???? Brother, how could you leave me hanging?

Glad everything turned out well.

Bill

J - it's hard to tell as the cooler was in the trunk of my car. Outside temps were about 75, it was sunny, I have a white car. I'd say maybe 70 in the trunk?

Bill - Yea I know . . . my SO's sister lives in Downey and it was her son's 6th B-Day party. We really need to get that California get together going, who was heading that up?

Back