Pick and choose?

Colby R

TVWBB Super Fan
If I wanted to enter in only ribs and chicken is this possible or do you have to cook all the meats ? I couldn't afford to do it all !

Are you talking about a regular KCBS sanctioned BBQ comp? If so, you can, BUT you'll still pay the same entry fee as the other competitors who are cooking all 4 meats and if you cook only two you'll end up in last place. By way of a suggestion you might want to look for some rib burns or non-sanctioned competitions that only require participants to cook one or two meats in your area, until you're in a better position to enter and cook all four meats.

Are you talking about a regular KCBS sanctioned BBQ comp? If so, you can, BUT you'll still pay the same entry fee as the other competitors who are cooking all 4 meats and if you cook only two you'll end up in last place. By way of a suggestion you might want to look for some rib burns or non-sanctioned competitions that only require participants to cook one or two meats in your area, until you're in a better position to enter and cook all four meats.

Exactly... That's some great advice. If you can, find some buddies to go in with you and split all the costs. If you're a newbie at a competition, most event organizers will place you near some experienced teams that are more than willing to help.

Best of luck!

CM

I'm not sure if the family that got me into smoking would join or not but I'd be perfectly ok with tackling it alone if I have to. I would love to find some rib burn comps and such where you don't have to do all 4 meats just want to give it a try I'll probably be the youngest person there though haha

Your ribs and chicken would be judged but you would not be in the running for grand or reserve champion, is that what you meant Bruce. A person wouldn't automatically be put in last place for the meats he turned in, he would just get a score of zero or DQ for the meats he didn't turn in.

There are a few contests in your area that have entry fees that are so much $$ per category.
How far are you willing to drive?

There's also the option of doing backyard. Many contests offer "backyard" categories, so that's something to look into.

Your ribs and chicken would be judged but you would not be in the running for grand or reserve champion, is that what you meant Bruce. A person wouldn't automatically be put in last place for the meats he turned in, he would just get a score of zero or DQ for the meats he didn't turn in.

Exactly right Mike, I meant he would probably end up in last place overall, his ribs and chicken could very well finish in first place.

I would be perfectly happy with only placing in those two events but where are these events close to me you all speak and yes I'm willing to travel to an extent

Colby go to KCBS and then events to find local events. As far as just back yard events I don't know where you would find those. Also to cook in a KCBS event the "head cook" has to be a KCBS member. Another thing to look at doing is becoming a KCBS judge. Meet a lot of good folks, see what/how people are cooking, and usually eat some good food (usually).

I'm going to try one comp out and if that goes we'll I'll do more just need help finding out which one to try first !

I'm going to try one comp out and if that goes we'll I'll do more just need help finding out which one to try first !

Colby, go to the Kansas City Barbecue Society web page, www.kcbs.us then look for the events tab on their home page, click on that, there is a search function there that you can search by date, month, state, etc. For example, if you enter the search criterion, Missouri, June 2014, it will show all competitions being held in Missouri is June of 2014. Be advised, however, it is only January right now, many comps have not received their sanctioning yet for 2014 so there may not be as many listed now as there would be let's say in April or May.

Ask there are always guys who want to only cook two categories
There could be a guy looking to cook the long meats in your area

Well I am a wuss so I never do any before May. I don't like being cold at night. Platte City is May is a really good time. It is a Basswoods resort. Stay in cabins for the weekend. They have a band, pool, they make it a family afair. Smok'n on the Summit in June is a great event but the train sucks. The other one for Lees Summit is at Blue Springs lake...usually good times. Holly Smokes in Liberty I believe August is ok. Last two years they have had power problems but the event is for a good cause.

I have a nice little pop up camper I can stay In ! I'll try one if I like it I'll go again haha
If it has heat you're golden!
We've done a couple where the overnight temp was at or just below freezing, but with a place to stay warm and just run out to check smokers it wasn't bad at all.

Back