PartyQ AC adapter mod for less than 10 bucks

Matt H

TVWBB Fan
I love my PartyQ, but like so many others, I wished it has an alternate power supply built in.

I borrowed this idea from someone else, so I can't take full credit, but here's the process for anyone interested. It's really simple and inexpensive.

The fan runs on half an amp, so I purchased a 6V, 1 amp power adapter (Amazon link below) and modified it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Y7MVDQM/?tag=TVWB-20

Adapter 1 by Matthew Heney, on Flickr

I cut the tip off, stripped the wire and attached the exposed wires to a couple screws I had laying around, and screwed them into 1/2" wooden dowels, then taped the wires down with electrical tape.

Adapter 2 by Matthew Heney, on Flickr

Sorry this picture is a little blurry.

Adapter 3 by Matthew Heney, on Flickr

The red wire goes to the positive terminal, and the black wire to the negative.

Adapter 4 by Matthew Heney, on Flickr

I cut a small notch in the plastic base and battery cover to allow the wire through.

Adapter 5 by Matthew Heney, on Flickr

And here she is plugged in and running. I haven't cooked with it yet, but I let it run on my counter for a while and everything seemed to work great. Nothing shorted out or got hot, so that's good.

One word of advice would be to install the wood "batteries" before plugging it in. You wouldn't want to touch the screws when the adapter is plugged in.

Adapter 6 by Matthew Heney, on Flickr

I can't wait to use this the next time I cook and really be worry free. Having the batteries crap out half way through a brisket really stinks.

Last edited:
Nice! I've been meaning to do that myself. I did a mod where I cut the fan off and wired an 1/8" headphone patch cable in between. No my controller goes wherever I want it and the whole unit is cut down by 2/3's. I can switch the fan between performer and WSM quick snap. Ill post some pics later. Thanks!

You have some skills Matt.
Let's see it in action with ribs or pork butt on the wsm :wsm:

This just what I was looking for! Thanks for sharing this tip, I just got done doing my party q the same way. Now I can't wait to use it.

Thanks for the instructions Matt. I just did this mod to my Party-Q last night. Easy and it works great.

This thread has pulled me out of lurker mode and back into the game! I have a question for Matt H or anyone with electrical knowledge for that matter. I have an old ac adapter that is 5V 1A. Would this work or do I need a 6V 1A like recommended?

When I did my ac mod, I used what I had. 6v-300Ma radio shack ac adapter. I have had no problems to date. My temp probe just took a crap, but I know that's coincidence. Amp draw is the fan and not the system. Try It for free first. Good luck.

This thread has pulled me out of lurker mode and back into the game! I have a question for Matt H or anyone with electrical knowledge for that matter. I have an old ac adapter that is 5V 1A. Would this work or do I need a 6V 1A like recommended?

Should be fine. Rechargeables are ~1.2VDC, Alkaline 1.5, so 4.8 to 6 volt (4 aa cells)

Back