New guy in Tampa - any local butcher recommendations?

Josh O'Donn

TVWBB Member
Just a quick hello from a soon-to-be WSM 22.5 owner in the Tampa area... I have always wanted a WSM and thanks to a very successful year at work (I work in sales for a major scientific supplier) I will be getting a very nice bonus in about 6 weeks. I will be treating myself to a 22.5 and IQ110 as well. The wifey will also be getting a nice stack of Benjamins to waste on shoes that she doesn't need and clothes that she'll complain about. This will be my first vertical smoker. I previously owned a Chargriller Duo and did a lot of smoking on that before it rusted out. Before that I did some smoking on a Weber kettle and also in a gas grill using smoker boxes... I've definitely been going through smoking withdrawals! Baby #2 is due in late March, so after I get the new WSM I plan smoking several butts and briskets that I'll package with the Foodsaver and freeze for quick and easy meals after the baby gets here.

Anyone in the Tampa (or even Ocala/Gainesville areas) have any recommendations for a good butcher?

There is a place in the Tampa area called Master Purveyors or something similar. A place in Plant City called Felton's is good. Here in Winter Haven I swear by Mac's Meats, great family owned and run place. Welcome!

Welcome Josh, congratulations on the successful year, new WSM and Baby#2 (not necessarily in that order).:wsm:

Howdy neighbor! I'm a WC resident as well lol. Feltons in Plant City is good. I've heard of Peacocks Meats in z-hills but haven't been personally, the drive down the dirt road has intimidated me so far and i haven't ventured yet. Congrats on the new one coming, i may be in the same boat here in a bit.

Howdy neighbor! I'm a WC resident as well lol. Feltons in Plant City is good. I've heard of Peacocks Meats in z-hills but haven't been personally, the drive down the dirt road has intimidated me so far and i haven't ventured yet. Congrats on the new one coming, i may be in the same boat here in a bit.

Thanks for the welcome... I'll check out Feltons, my in-laws live in Dover so that will be a good excuse for me to sneak out the next time I'm stuck down there against my will. I've driven down by Peacocks.... If you think the road is scary the actual location is worse haha. Let's just say I didn't go in. Perhaps the book shouldn't be judged by it's cover but who knows.

Thanks for the welcome... I'll check out Feltons, my in-laws live in Dover so that will be a good excuse for me to sneak out the next time I'm stuck down there against my will. I've driven down by Peacocks.... If you think the road is scary the actual location is worse haha. Let's just say I didn't go in. Perhaps the book shouldn't be judged by it's cover but who knows.

lmao, i actually called them yesterday after posting here to ask what their hours are and if they took credit cards or not, surprisingly they do, so i may have to venture down the dirt road one of these days to see what the fuss, or lack thereof is all about.

Arrived home from a couple days on the road for work to find a big glorious box waiting at my front door... My new 22.5 WSM is currently smoking away on my back patio!

Arrived home from a couple days on the road for work to find a big glorious box waiting at my front door... My new 22.5 WSM is currently smoking away on my back patio!

Very nice! What'd you throw in there to break her in? You ever able to make it out to Feltons or Peacocks? I actually called both yesterday to ask about availability and pricing on full packer briskets. I think the Z-hills Walmart might still have them beat if I recall correctly.

sounds interesting Benji - keep trying fella:)
Found out it's official, August-ish is the cameo appearance date!

Benji, actually didn't cook anything last night... I know it's not necessary to season the WSM but I'm anal, so I got a full chimney going and put that in with everything wide open just burn away anything hidden... Not sure how hot it got, the lid thermometer was maxed out. I have it going again today, this time just trying to get a feel for temperature control. I have a big slab of bacon on there now just to get it good and greased up. First real cook will be Sunday, I'm going to smoke some ribs while I'm brewing up a batch of beer... I have 2 Mavericks monitoring the temp at each grate, I'm really surprised how close the two are. Top grate is running about 5-10 higher most of the time, I was expect a bit more of a differential. I imagine that will change once it's loaded down with meat.

Still haven't made it down to Felton's, was hoping to go today but am stuck in my home office on conference calls for work so I won't have time to get down there.

Last edited:

Back