Our rice recipe

Tony R

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Start with 1 cup of regular rice and about 1/4 chopped onion.
Put in a pot with a little oil

E6C51FCF-4DD9-44C7-8C0C-1F945696D0B1.jpg

Fry until it turns a little brown

B0A80E13-A735-477E-B714-8D7C668F3B24.jpg

Then add 8 oz of tomato sauce and add water to fill 2 cups. Add to the rice.

91B01943-3FF5-4B8D-A8CB-19FDBAE4CE4C.jpg

THen add 1 tbs of this

3AB362E9-9042-4437-8C41-5F2D347FFD5E.jpg

Taste it. Add salt if need. I added a few shakes from the salt shaker

Then bring to a boil and then bring it down to low.

B91B643C-374C-42C7-AEB4-8E3ABBFB2E0F.jpg

After 20-30 min it should be done.

482B6ADA-DA70-48A4-8C3A-E929CE5A2F77.jpg

El Pato bring's alot of food to another level & it's darn good by it's self with fresh made tortilla chips.

Tony- your rice & bean recipe are on the top of my To Do List for 2014. Looks delicious & I'm looking forward to trying it!!!

Tony, does this taste anything like you get in Mexican restaurants or is that a different recipe.

This taste nothing like what you get at restaurants.
It's a simple clean taste. This recipe is pretty common in our family. I don't know about other Mexican families because I never asked and it usually taste great.
Try it....I hope you like it.

I use a can of diced tomatoes, onion, cumin, salt, sometimes bullion. I made "Spanish Rice" (my momma used to make it) earlier this week.....I used the pressure cooker, and added some (85% brown rice, 15%) dried black beans. It was my first time using the pressure cooker for rice but no complaints. I fried the onion and garlic in the bottom of the pot but I had the temp up too high, it started smoking so water was added earlier than I wanted...next time I'll brown the rice like you.

I have played about following different recipes trying to get the redish color in the rice and have always been disappointed with the results. Made this last night and was very pleased with the result - this will now be my goto recipe!!! Many thanks to Tony R for sharing.

Making enchiladas with leftover BBQ chicken tonight and this is our side. I am looking forward to it!

Edit: Excellent rice!

Last edited:
Wife says thanks for the recipe, and wants to know if cover the rice during the 20 min cook?

Back