A must have gadget

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Well at least I think so:) It's a Misto pump up oil sprayer and I don't know why I waited so long to buy one.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00004SPZV/tvwb-20

I use it for the grate on the grill occasionally for lube , but mostly just to spritz vegs and whole potatoes with some EVO and give them a dust of K salt.

I can see using one for bread or pizza making, but does anyone use them for something else?

Tim

How do you manage to keep it clean? I bought a similar device, and after a short while, the smell from the sprayer was just terrible. I did not manage to clean it, despite several attempts using all methods I could think of, and a couple of ways that i searched the Internet for.

I think we have a couple of those on the counter. Haven't used them in years. Probably should chuck 'em.

How do you manage to keep it clean? I bought a similar device, and after a short while, the smell from the sprayer was just terrible. I did not manage to clean it, despite several attempts using all methods I could think of, and a couple of ways that i searched the Internet for.

Mines not that old and haven't found a need to clean it yet. I believe the directions say to use a few drops of dish soap and hot water and pump and spray that out, than rinse and let air dry.
I'm guessing your oil turned rancid?
I store mine in the cabinet away from heat and direct sunlight and haven't noticed any off smells yet..

Tim

I got one of those in january 2011.... I like it, I've thought about getting another one for flavored oil but haven't.... Looks like the price has halved since then, I paid $20.95 with free shipping back then.

Hmm, i was just digging the forum for oil spray recommendations. I had a real cheap chinese one from Aliexpress, used it a lot and it went nuts in a month. I see this one is sold in the UK too so think I'll pick up one in a month when I visit London..

My MiL has one of these that she used for a few months but has now been glued (quite literally) to her range by the oil that seeped out of it several years ago. Personally, for spraying stuff, I just use cheap pump-spray bottles from the hardware or a beauty supply store. I had a few that got funky (mold grew in the pump guts) and had to toss, but at $1-2 each, it's not a big loss. However, nowadays I've taken to using vinegar to clean/store them. Basically, when I'm done using the bottle, I fill it with hot water and spray at least a few ounces of that through the sprayer. Then, I dump the rest and fill it halfway with white vinegar, repeating the spray process to clean out the guts. At the end, I leave the guts filled with the vinegar for storage (very few organisms can survive in vinegar, so no mold). Now, next time I use it, I repeat the hot water rinse to get rid of the vinegar taste. Works like a charm.

I've had one for years and use it often, never any "off smells" or problems at all, I'm considering getting the red version for chili oil. I don't use it daily but it's great when you just need a spritz of EVOO!
Yes, you do have to clean it but, that's pretty simple. I drop it in the fresh dishwater when I'm getting ready to do dishes, let it soak for a few minutes then use the spray through method finishing with a very hot water rinse and repeating of the spray through rinse. Let it dry on a towel refill and it's good for a month or so.

Silly me, for spritzing my meats with AJ & water I just use a 16 oz water bottle with a bunch of holes in the lid. They work really great. I get them at the store, $2.29 for a case of 24.

Back