HM v4.1 3D printed case

Tom Kole

TVWBB Pro
Here is the new 3D printed case for the v4.1 boards. Overall, the case is slightly smaller and more snug than the previous versions. Since there is a lot more freedom now for screw placement, we set them slightly inwards to keep the holes away from the corners which should help prevent curling. We also did away with the bottom vents because they were largely ineffective based upon typical use and added significant print time.

The source files were created in autodesk Inventor fusion and can be found below. If you don't have a 3D printer you can PM me or Matt (M Miller) to purchase a case. Available colors are: black, red, silver, orange, or green. The current price is $25 + $5 shipping.

This case requires that the rca jack on the rpi be removed so that the boards come into maximum contact. The unit of measure for the .stl files is in mm and the LEDs should be mounted so that the bottom of the LED is positioned approximately 8 mm above the HM PCB. I will reserve a post below for links to software and files.

We will continue to update this post with new versions of the case as they come out.

Last edited:
Source files

V1.3 6/26/14
Added more 4 line display options and a CNC compatible version, and by popular demand expanded the long axis of the nut traps by 0.2 mm

Software

CAD
Source files were created in autodesk software which can be found here or here.
Stl files can be error checked and repaired (already done for you) using Netfabb

3D Printing Software
I decided to add some general 3d printing info below since I get a lot of questions about this stuff over PM. I will add to this as time goes on and try to make it a beginners guide to 3d printing since a lot of us found 3d printing via the HM project.

Host
1. Printrun/Pronterface
2. Repetier
3. Octoprint

Firmware
1. Sprinter/Marlin
2. Repetier
3. Teacup

Slicing
1. Slic3r - Tutorial
2. Cura
3. KISSlicer
4. Skeinforge

Tools
Reprap Calculator (calculate z steps and optimal layer height)

3D printer part suppliers
Lulzbot
Ultmachine
OpenBuilds Part Store
Adafruit
McMaster-Carr (you can find anything here)
Misumi (frame and motion parts)
Phidgets (motors)
Online Metal Store (raw metal)
New Image Plastics (filament)
Protoparadigm (filament)
E3d-online (hotend)
Gadgets 3D (hotend, electronics, printers)

3D printer sites
Reprap forum
thingiverse
3DStuffZone

Last edited:
Pictures

3D printed version

11170691005_16463bcb2d_b.jpg

CNC version

12627115954_4902b57e4e_o.jpg

12626791703_79a238d6a3_o.jpg

Last edited:
The source files for Rpi A and two different 4 line displays are up. Everything is contained in the .dwg file. When I get a chance I'll put separate .stls too. I think I was able to make it so that the MDL-20464B displays use the same size case with some modification of the LCD opening. I only have 2 line displays so I can't test them myself.

Does anybody have these files as something that can be edited with Solidworks? I am able to import the *.stl files but not able to make any changes. I figure it is worth a shot asking here before I spend the time to recreate them.

Last edited:
Does anybody have these files as something that can be edited with Solidworks? I am able to import the *.stl files but not able to make any changes. I figure it is worth a shot asking here before I spend the time to recreate them.

The .dwg files are also there which were made in inventor fusion. All of the details and links to software are listed in the first couple of posts. From inventor fusion you can export the files in any format you wish.

The .dwg files are also there which were made in inventor fusion. All of the details and links to software are listed in the first couple of posts. From inventor fusion you can export the files in any format you wish.

Tom, thanks for the heads up. Until now I had never heard of Inventor Fusion but will give it a shot.

Fusion worked great, once I installed it on a Mac. It would install but not open on my Windows desktop. Anyway what am I looking at in the DWG file?

Top model = RPi version B + 4 line display?
Middle Left model = RPi version B + 2 line display?
Middle Right model = RPi version A + 2 line display?
Bottom model = RPi version B + 2 line display faceplate?

Fusion worked great, once I installed it on a Mac. It would install but not open on my Windows desktop. Anyway what am I looking at in the DWG file?

Top model = RPi version B + 4 line display?
Middle Left model = RPi version B + 2 line display?
Middle Right model = RPi version A + 2 line display?
Bottom model = RPi version B + 2 line display faceplate?

Look on the left side of the screen where all the objects are listed. There is a description of each item there telling what display it fits etc, when you click on the item in the list the actual item will become highlighted so you know what is what....
Good luck with the printing...

Exactly as Ralph said. When you are ready to save a particular piece, just hide the others to get a single piece into a single file. Netfabb any stls.

Exactly as Ralph said. When you are ready to save a particular piece, just hide the others to get a single piece into a single file. Netfabb any stls.

Thanks for that Tom, since I.F. is lacking the Print/3D Print function I was at a loss for how to print one part.... I ended up saving the single part into its own DWG file and then "Save As" stl file from that. I knew there had to be another way to export a single part directly from the main file, never thought of hiding all the other parts first...

Back