Cranberry BBQ Sauce Recipe

James Lake

TVWBB Emerald Member
This recipe is from the magazine Cuisine at Home Issue No. 102 November / December 2013.

I made this sauce last night and will serve it on the side with my smoked turkey on Thursday, it was so good I wanted to share it with all of you.

Cranberry BBQ Sauce

This sauce can be prepared, covered and refrigerated up to 1 week, or frozen up to 1 month.

Makes 12 servings (2 1/2 cups)

Total time: 30 minutes

Sweat:

1 cup minced red onions
2 Tbsp. minced fresh garlic
2 Tbsp. canola oil

Stir in:

2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries (8 oz.)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
2 chipotles in adobo sauce, minced
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce

Sweat onion and garlic in oil in a saucepan over medium heat until softened, 5 minutes.

Stir in cranberries, brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar, mustard, chipotles and Worcestershire.

Bring sauce to a boil, stirring frequently, until cranberries burst, 10 minutes.

Puree half the sauce in a food processor until smooth; stir back into remaining sauce.

Per serving: 99 cal; 2g total fat (0g sat); 0mg chol; 175mg sodium; 20g carb; 1g fiber; 0g protein

I snagged it as well, James. This would be good on pork and chicken, too.

Thanks. It's nice when someone else does the typing (I'm the only human being alive without a scanner).

I always have two to four bags of fresh cranberries in the freezer 'cause I stock up in November and December when they're in the store. Again, many thanks.

Just printed this. Sounds really good. Thanks James for continuing to bump this. As previously asked, can we get pics?

I posted this in another thread, also posting it here.

I made the cranberry bbq sauce.

https://i.imgur.com/7m3MbwU.jpg

It's good, it has a lot of flavor.

I think I want to use it on something other than smoked poultry, though. Like maybe in a sandwich or something?

I tend to like my smoked or bbq poultry as is, from the cook.

But this cranberry bbq sauce is good enough to have with something, in some form.

Just not sure what.

Any ideas?

I was also disappointed to learn that bbq sauce contained ketchup. I kind of liked the mystery of not knowing.

Thanks @James Lake for the recipe.

Back