Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sausage Making for Beginners: e-Course + PDF

TVWBB Fan
    David, thanks for all the information. This process seems daunting but I want to give it a try. For sausage making do you use table salt (iodized or not) or kosher, or something else?

David, thanks for the ebook! I bookmarked your site too! Looking forward to looking around there some more!
    Mikey

'98 Weber 22.5", Weber 22.5" rotisserie attachment, '05 SJP, '08 WSM, '? Gas Go Anywhere, '09 SJS

Chris,

I tried this over the weekend. I made Polish Sausage from scratch and smoked it on my weber. The end result was awesome. My wife already wants to try Italian Sausage on our next attempt. She is recovering from cancer and hates all of the chemicals and other additives that are put into foods these days. Now we can make our own sausage and control what goes into it for ourselves...

Thanks to David for creating the tutorial and to you for posting it - I never would have tried it without the nudge. Next up - Bacon!

Regards,

John
    Husband of one, father of six
    Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana -- Groucho Marx

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by John Sp View Post
    Chris,

I tried this over the weekend. I made Polish Sausage from scratch and smoked it on my weber. The end result was awesome. My wife already wants to try Italian Sausage on our next attempt. She is recovering from cancer and hates all of the chemicals and other additives that are put into foods these days. Now we can make our own sausage and control what goes into it for ourselves...

Thanks to David for creating the tutorial and to you for posting it - I never would have tried it without the nudge. Next up - Bacon!

Regards,

John

...best of luck to you and your wife!

TVWBB Fan
    Delighted that folks are finding the course/book useful!

John, I use kosher salt for sausage. I can't swear that it makes any difference in the end sausage but it makes me feel like more of a professional to use. I know that is a silly reason but it works for me

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by David Somerville View Post
    ...John, I use kosher salt for sausage. I can't swear that it makes any difference in the end sausage but it makes me feel like more of a professional to use. I know that is a silly reason but it works for me
    It doesn't matter which kind of salt is used as long as the salt is (EDIT) measured by actual weight and not by volume.
    Last edited by tjkoko; 03-23-2014 at 05:27 PM.

TVWBB Super Fan Steve_A (Tatoosh)'s Avatar
    A very handy guide indeed. My only negative is the Spicy Italian Sausage doesn't contain fennel, but the recipe for Sweet Italian Sausage does. I pretty sure it isn't "Italian Sausage" without either some fennel or anise, at least in the USA. The Bacon Cheeseburger sausage is on my "To Do" list for next month!
    >>> Banana Ketchup is not BBQ Sauce! Weber 22.5 OTG, SJG, Smokenator 1000, Pizza Kettle, Yellow & Red Thermapens - Mabuhay BBQ! <<<

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12