Sausage Making for Beginners: e-Course + PDF

I`ve been making sausage for close to 15 yrs and he has great advice as well as a few new sausage recipe mixes for me to try. Thanks for the link to the info Chris.

Very nice! Thanks so much for putting this up. He hits my big three. I've got bacon and jerky done, sausage is next. This really makes it appear very simple and I can't wait to try it out.

Thanks to David for an execellent piece of work!

Russ

Chris,

Thank you very much for posting a link to the site! I am delighted that you felt the material is worth sharing.

I was scared as heck of this topic for years and decided to learn all I could. I hope the information is helpful to others!!

Regards,
David

Great info indeed!
I joined his forum a few weeks ago to learn more about sausage making, did some breakfast sausage that turned out very well and have a mix getting happy in the fridge to make some pepperoni snack sticks later today.
I too plan to try the bacon cheesburger sausage soon.

David, thanks for all the information. This process seems daunting but I want to give it a try. For sausage making do you use table salt (iodized or not) or kosher, or something else?

Chris,

I tried this over the weekend. I made Polish Sausage from scratch and smoked it on my weber. The end result was awesome. My wife already wants to try Italian Sausage on our next attempt. She is recovering from cancer and hates all of the chemicals and other additives that are put into foods these days. Now we can make our own sausage and control what goes into it for ourselves...

Thanks to David for creating the tutorial and to you for posting it - I never would have tried it without the nudge. Next up - Bacon!

Regards,

John

Chris,

I tried this over the weekend. I made Polish Sausage from scratch and smoked it on my weber. The end result was awesome. My wife already wants to try Italian Sausage on our next attempt. She is recovering from cancer and hates all of the chemicals and other additives that are put into foods these days. Now we can make our own sausage and control what goes into it for ourselves...

Thanks to David for creating the tutorial and to you for posting it - I never would have tried it without the nudge. Next up - Bacon!

Regards,

John

...best of luck to you and your wife!

Delighted that folks are finding the course/book useful!

John, I use kosher salt for sausage. I can't swear that it makes any difference in the end sausage but it makes me feel like more of a professional to use. I know that is a silly reason but it works for me :)

...John, I use kosher salt for sausage. I can't swear that it makes any difference in the end sausage but it makes me feel like more of a professional to use. I know that is a silly reason but it works for me :)

It doesn't matter which kind of salt is used as long as the salt is (EDIT) measured by actual weight and not by volume.

Last edited:
A very handy guide indeed. My only negative is the Spicy Italian Sausage doesn't contain fennel, but the recipe for Sweet Italian Sausage does. I pretty sure it isn't "Italian Sausage" without either some fennel or anise, at least in the USA. The Bacon Cheeseburger sausage is on my "To Do" list for next month!

Back